The edge of a mesocyclone captured on my webcam!!

check it out :slight_smile:

http://www.weather-display.com/aucklandcb.wmv

we had a realy good CB develop, and it showed signs of rotation (i.e a mesocyclone)

good amounts of lightning and some real heavy rain
(i.e a summers afternoon thunderstorm (27oC with 18oc Dew point before the CB hit (then only 19oC once the rain started)

also, Ricky (a forum member , from Auckland) took this photo of the beginings of a tornado, developing from a wall cloud :), from this same system

a mesocylone and wall cloud and funnel are rare in these parts!

Very cool stuff Brian. :wink:

…and Ricky :thumbright:

i was kicking myself i did not have a camera with me where I was at the time as this thing approached us here…
it had great structure, lots of banding…was like a midwest CB…we dont normaly get them as organised as that here!

Cool picture and video. Where I’m at, Missouri, these are common, but always impressive. The temp here is way below normal and the freezing rain has frozen my wind instruments in place #-o.

Never a dull moment.

I will be in the midwest again in mid may chasing these things/tornados again this year, along with 2 other members of this forum from NZ (ricky and unripegreenbanana) :smiley:

the next day we had another smaller rotating (sea breeze convergence and 2 opposing wind directions at altitude help set up the rotation) thunderstorm over our area…but it was a low topped CB, so its development was throtted a big