Need help in installing CarterLake web template

Greetings to all the forum member.
I’m a new Weather Display user, just registered yesterday.

I’m looking for assistance about how to correctly install the amazing CarterLake web template with Ajax extension available at:

http://www.carterlake.org/webtemplates.php

I’m confused about the following:

• Do I need to delete the content of the folder “c:\wdisplay\webfiles” before using the CarterLake template ?

• The supplied template install docs sometime don’t reflect the actual WD Gui, the “Internet File Setting” panel image in the docs show two “SET” buttons columns, actual WD release show only one “SET” column.

I would be grateful if someone of you could recap the needed install step reflecting the new GUI, thanking in
advance.

Mario

don’ t delete anything, just edit those files, put all wxlocalxx.html-files in the WD-webfiles folder and read this:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/162996

hope it helps

Jozef

Hi, and welcome to the Weather-Display community!

I’m just a bit confused about which version of the Carterlake templates you are using. Is it the full site set from http://www.carterlake.org/webtemplates.php (i.e. http://members.cox.net/carterlakeweather/templatewebsite1.zip ) or the AJAX versions of the Carterlake templates from http://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-WD-AJAX.php ?

For either set, you don’t need to delete files in your Weather Display \webfiles directory. Just unzip the contents into the webfiles directory. If you’re using the AJAX version, then the entire \ajax-images directory needs to be uploaded to your website (as /ajax-images ) in order to display the wind direction and current condition icons.

You can use notepad (or other text editor) to customize the contents of the wxlocal.html … wxlocal9.html files in the \webfiles directory. At a minimum, you’ll need to change the site name and contact info.

The carterlake ‘readme.doc’ (and my ‘readme.pdf’ in the AJAX set) do need to be updated with current screen captures in the settings as the Internet File Creation panel has changed quite a bit since the doc was done. If you don’t want to change the names of the uploaded files, then you probably don’t need to change the default settings in Internet File Creation tab – you will need to set up the regular FTP functions, and do the image file uploads in the doc.

If you have the AJAX templates, then you’ll need to upload the /ajax-images files once to your website, and set up the real-time FTP for clientraw.txt (so that AJAX can display the real-time conditions).

Hope this helps…

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks Jozef and Ken for reply and help attempt, your suggestions was helpful to fix the problem.

My error was to not push the “show file upload times” where to set the remaining parameters for file upload.

Now that the preliminary site is online I’m experiencing a couple of more problems:

The wxlocal.html main/home page is uploaded as index.html
http://www.plmeteo.info/

But it show different formatting (char type and size) than the original wxlocal.html file
http://www.plmeteo.info/wxlocal.html

No idea how to fix the problem since the .html code of both the page is the same except the first line of code:
<META RAW MET DATA Nessun fenomeno, 5:45:01,09/02/07,tmp 10.7,hum 81,dew 7.6,wav 2.2,wgt 1.7,dir NE 037

just as an aside, i see its congrats to Carterlake for winning web site on the www.wxforum.net :smiley:

Brian, yes it’s great that Tom’s site was selected WXForum.net Feathered Weather Website for Winter 2006 – he’s given so much to the weather enthusiasts and his templates (created with krelvinaz) are in great world-wide use. Bravo Tom!

Mario:
To change the time to 24hours, you can use the WD Setup, Advanced/Misc. Settings, Program Tab

On the left side, untick 'AM/PM on time, and tick ‘Use 24 hour clock’.

The AJAX script just uses the time stamp that’s in clientraw.txt, so changing the WD setting will cause it to display 24hr time in the AJAX-enabled pages (and in Weather-Display Live).

On the same page, untick ‘Raw data appears in your HTML page for others’, and the <META RAW MET DATA …> will disappear from your pages.

I see you’ve already done an Italian translation for your home page. Bravo!
Finding Radar and Forecasts from Meteo Italia will be your next challenge :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Ken

Ken, thanks again, I’m quite sodisfacted how the template work/look but lot’s of walk to do to fully master WD.

I just purchased WDL and I will probably buy MML, but before I need to know how MML perform here in western Italy since it rely on other WD users.

Greetings,

Mario

In Setup > Advanced/Misc Settings I changed the following settings:

• unchecked ‘AM/PM on time’
  • checked ‘Use 24 hour clock’

but I then get the 12h AM/PM hour format in both the WD GUI (latest v10.37 registered) and the web page at www.plmeteo.info
Looking in the clientraw.txt file I can see that the hour format is like 12:23_AM

Also tried to save and exit + system reboot but no change

No idea what’s wrong…

I just looked at your site and saw “Ultimo Aggiornamento: 10/2/2007 7:51:31” for the date/time … I don’t see an ‘am’ or ‘pm’… looks like you found the right setting :slight_smile:
Ken

Oh Yes, now some hour tag are updated correctly, but many other not, like the MAX/MIN column for Temp, Humidity, Pressure etc.
I probably miss something again :oops:

No, I don’t think you missed anything. If you open View, Daily hi/lo readings, do you see the time values in AM/PM … if so, it’s something that Brian will have to fix. The Min/Max displays on the wxlocal.html → wx.html are done by WD substitutions upon upload. Their values are not in clientraw.txt, so they can not be updated via AJAX.

Brian… if 24hr time is selected for the station, shouldn’t it set the daily min/max times in 24hr time too?

Ken

It seem that some 12h hour value is now changed to 24h format, this probably happen when a minimum or maximum daily value are reached and the correspondant tag updated.

I slightly customized the layout of the main web page using my poor (very poor :oops:) html knowledge.

I kindly ask if someone of you with better coding knowledge can check the code to see if is Ok, particulary at different screen size.

To better fill the space on the right of the image with the panoramic photo with above the curled map, I want shrink the text by adding a few pixel right margin, how to do this ?

And again, to better fill the space I’m looking for a ‘fast facts’ random text script surrounded by a thin ‘------ dashed line’ frame, as featured by many site based on CarterLake template.

ThankYou,

Mario

Thanks Brian and Ken. I’ve been in Las Vegas this past week, trying to warm up.

Mario:
I looks like the am/pm v.s. 24hr time on the daily records has sorted itself out. I guess Brian stores the date/time in the record based on the settings at the time the record is recorded, so over a day or so, the new values with 24hr time replace the old values with 12hr time.

Your homepage looks great… awesome graphic with photo and map. To frame the text on the left as you want, you can enclose the two paragraphs inside a

that has styling. You can use this (I think):

<div style="margin: 2px 10px 2px 2px;">
<h3>Benvenuti nel sito web PLMeteo.Info</h3> 

<p>La stazione a conduzione privata e amatoriale fornisce in tempo reale un dettagliato rapporto sulle condizioni meteo ambientali relative al comune di Pieve Ligure e zone limitrofe affacciate sul Golfo Paradiso.</p>

<p>Il posizionamento dei sensori, conforme ai dettami dell' Organizzazione Meteorologica Mondiale (OMM) con classificazione SEMI-URBANA, unita all' elevata qualit

The supplied code was helpful, now the main page look better. :lol:
The last touch is how to fill the background with light gray instead the actual white, the area right on the image, just below the tag:
%weathercond%%Currentsolardescription% up to the bottom image border (see image below made with photoshop)

I forget to say that the navigation menu is not working, I will fix it later by finishing the remaining pages.

Update: I see just now that all the hours tag are now in 24h format.

Two tag miss Italian translation:
%Currentsolardescription%
%bftspeedtext%

I will inform the author so a fix can be included in the next update.