Daily Weather Fire Index

I see there is such a feature (“Daily Weather Fire Index”) in the
Weather Display.
Where do I find information on what “FFMC”, “DMC”, “DC”, “ISI” and “BUI” are so I can put this function to use?

Thanx

Take a look at the link(s) provided on the Daily Fire Weather Index web page (FWI.html, I believe). The links go to the Australian and Canadian Forest Fire Services that explain the components in detail.

Thanks “n6skk”… Sounds a bit like a HAM address, like
mine: “SM5SWV”…
Can you be more specific, please?
My weather station is online at:
http://hem.passagen.se/robert.st/
And the new generation of “Storm Tracker” (eg. LD250) is about to go online.

I guess I can actually provide those links, I don’t know any other way to get much more specific…

The New Zealand (I think I said Australia earlier; sorry Kiwis!) link is:
http://nrfa.fire.org.nz/fire_weather/fwi/index.htm

The Canadian link is: http://www.nofc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/fire/cwfis/fwi/index.html (though just checking it, this appears to be a dead link at present, so use the NZ one)

…and N6SKK is indeed my ham call

thanks for your link…

But can you tell me how I can upload the FWI on my web page and where it will appear??

From the main screen… click “view”… then “Daily Fire Weather Index”. You’ll get a pop-up screen, then tick “Upload to web page”. This will cause FWI.htm to be created and uploaded as a separate page, and a link to it to be created on your main Weather Display web page.

From the main screen... click "view"... then "Daily Fire Weather Index". You'll get a pop-up screen, then tick "Upload to web page". This will cause FWI.htm to be created and uploaded as a separate page, and a link to it to be created on your main Weather Display web page.

TNX a lot…
73 QRO from HE9HFK

:wink:

a nice addition to this is to have a gif, in which i’ve seen on roadsides with a scale from:
low
moderate
high
very high
extreme

in a semi circle with a pointer.
I think this would be a great idea in addition to numbers.

Good Luck
Cyclone

Now that’s a good idea, Cyclone. Judging by what I’ve seen in the news the last year or two, you folks have a wild fire “problem”, too. Homeowners insurance is getting scarse and expensive around these parts.
Jim

Brian, if you’re interested in such GIFs, I’ve created two sets - one with the pointer as mentioned above, the other textual with my hero, Smokey Bear and the danger level text. (PLEASE, nobody mention “Reddi Squirrel” or I’ll go off on a six month long rant!!!) Samples below:

I’ve used javascript to display the appropriate graphic for the given fire weather index from Weather Display; you can see the results at http://www.qsl.net/n6skk/wx12.html. I’ve also written some extensive javascript using the nomograms and algorithms more commonly used in the US to produce the Fosburg Fire Index value and the Chandler Burning Index, then to produce the appropriate fire danger rating and image. These can be seen at http://www.qsl.net/n6skk/firemet3.html. PLEASE NOTE that all the javascripts and forumlas used at the latter page are COPYRIGHTED and may not be reproduced or otherwise stolen, but I’m quite happy to share the graphics if anyone is interested.

(N.B. - if anyone looked at this post right after I posted it, I initially had the wrong URL for the second page mentioned above. It is now correct, reading “firemet3.html”. Thanks & sorry!)

By the way, here are the definitions used with the public fire danger adjectives (as used in the United States) mentioned in the previous couple of posts:

Fire Danger Adjectives
Low
Fuels do not ignite readily from small firebrands, although a more intense heat source, such as lightning, may start many fires in duff or punky wood. Fires in open cured grassland may burn freely a few hours after rain, but woods fires spread slowly by creeping or smoldering, and burn in irregular fingers. There is little danger of spotting.

Moderate
Fires can start from most accidental causes, but with the exception of lightning fires in some areas, the number of starts is generally low. Fires in open cured grassland will burn briskly and spread rapidly on windy days. Woods fires spread slowly to moderately fast. The average fire is of moderate intensity, although heavy concentrations of fuel, especially draped fuel, may burn hot. Short-distance spotting may occur, but is not persistant. Fires are not likely to become serious, and control is relatively easy.

High
All fine dead fuels ignite readily and fires start easily from most causes. Unattended brush and campfires are likely to escape. Fires spread rapidly and short-distance spotting is common. High-intensity burning may develop on slopes, or in concentrations of fine fuel. Fires may become serious and their control difficult, unless they are hit hard and fast while small.

Very High
Fires start easily from all causes, and immediately after ignition, spread rapidly and increase quickly in intensity. Spot fires are a constant danger. Fires burning in light fuels may quickly develop high-intensity characteristics; such as long-distance spotting and fire whirlwinds, when they burn into heavier fuels. Direct attack at the head of such fires is rarely possible after they have been burning more than a few minutes.

Extreme
Fires start quickly, spread furiously, and burn intensely. All fires are potentially serious. Development into high-intensity burning will usually be faster and occur from smaller fires than in the very high danger class. Direct attack is rarely possible, and may be dangerous except immediately after ignition. Fires that develop headway in heavy slash or in conifer stands may be unmanageable while the extreme burning condition lasts. Under these conditions, the only effective and safe control action is on the flanks until the weather changes or the fuel supply lessens.

Remember, adjective fire-danger is for public information only. It has no direct connection to fire behavior.

i really like the image with the pointer!
can you email me one for each of the conditions?
thanks!
(and i will add to wd :slight_smile:

Done. They’re coming from my alternate email address @firehousemail.com, just so you know.

n6skk posted;

“PLEASE NOTE that all the javascripts and forumlas used at the latter page are COPYRIGHTED and may not be reproduced or otherwise stolen, but I’m quite happy to share the graphics if anyone is interested”

I think Smokey is copyrighted too, and if I remember correctly there are even a couple of specific laws protecting the Smokey Bear image.

i was supplied with the formulas by the NZ rural fire service when I was a volunteer :slight_smile: (just for information sakes)

There are a number of United States Codes describing precisely how Smokey can and cannot be used; fire prevention/education are specifically permitted. Smokey’s image may not be SOLD without license from the United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service.

I am NOT selling Smokey’s image or utilizing it inappropriately or illegally. My 20+ years in the fire service, most of it in wildland fire management, has made me intimately familiar with these regulations.

The javascript routines and other code I have created and written over innumerable hours are my own work product and intellectual property, and I do not choose to make them publicly and freely available at this point. I do willingly share the graphics that I created with others, and have shared many other graphics and many other javascript routines and other codes I have created without cost or any other consideration. Clearly it is incumbent upon anyone using those graphics to use them in an appropriate and legal manner. If my desire to protect my intellectual property is an issue for someone, well, sorry, there it is. Feel free to exert a similar amount of effort in research, education, and coding and create them for yourself.

From here out, if someone would like my assistance, feel free to e-mail me directly and I’ll be happy to help. These forums are getting to be far more trouble than they’re worth.

Hi Gary
I think you got the wrong end of the stick here…

I have added these cool graphics to wd now, and have added it to the graph image too
uploading that version now
thanks gary!

You have every right to distribute/protect your intellectual property in any way you choose. It was never my intent to question your right to do so, or to question your personal use of Smokey.

It was my intent to question the impression given (at least to me) by the contrasting language in the posting that Smokey was in the public domain. Thank you for the clarification.

:oops: Ok here i go again, have the fwi uploading ok, but no link is appearing on the site, do i have to manually put in that link?

yes.