Vista

Can i use Virtual VP and comdriver with windows vista

Regards Richard

I have not tested VirtualVP with Vista yet, so I can’t answer your question. Now that I have a release copy of Vista, I plan on doing tests with it.

Steve

I’d like to know this, too!

I have a new SATA hard drive coming and the plan is to install Vista Home Premium on my weather station computer and have it where I can boot to Vista or back to XP if needed. That way I can try Startwatch, VirtualVP, and VP Live on Vista. So…if tinplate doesn’t get to testing it by mid-next week, maybe I’ll have something to report!!

Well, I have Vista Home Premium installed on my weather computer. I have N8VBvCOM working. I have VirtualVP working. I have VP Live working. I have Startwatch working with one exception. I have it starting VirtualVP, no problem. I try to add VPLive, it adds in the options window, click OK, it doesn’t show up back in the main window. I’ve tried everything, done it a dozen times, can’t get it in there. Any ideas on this one?

I haven’t installed VWS yet, so have to try that and try adding IT to Startwatch.

From what I can tell, Startwatch needs to be run with administrator privilages in Vista, and if set that way, it won’t start automatically when Windows starts. Once run with administartor privilages, I got VPLive and VWS added OK.

I’ll keep looking for a solution, hopefully something other than disabling UAC!!

Just an update for anyone looking for Vista info.

I had to leave StartWatch set to run as administrator to get it to function as expected. It works fine, just won’t start with Windows. An alert sits in the tray. Click that, have it start StartWatch and Startwatch runs all it’s stuff and acts as expected. I actually don’t even mind this behavior, it gives everything else time to start and is only a hassle when you’re configuring something or other and rebooting a lot. The problem would come if the computer somehow decided to reboot itself. At that time, StartWatch wouldn’t start, so none of the other’s would start either.

So in review, N8VBvCOM works fine for virtualizing the com port, VirtualVP works fine, VPLive works fine, Weatherlink seems to work fine. I use VWS and it works fine also. StartWatch is the only one with a slight issue in Vista.

what folder does startwatch install too?

Just wondering if you can run it without needing to run as administrator if it was installed in the root directory i.e c: and not c:\program files\

StartWatch installs in C:\Program Files\Softwx\Startwatch.

Not sure it it’d work differently if it were in the root dir. Hmm.

Steve will probably fix it soon, so I’m not going to try it. If I get a spare minute, I’ll install it on another computer with Vista and check it out.

I finally got time to uninstall StartWatch and reinstall it in C:\Startwatch, but no joy. Still needs to be Run as Administrator. We’ll need to wait for a fix from Steve!