High-Resolution Weather Cam

From what I understand, there are only a handful of cameras that can be controlled by a computer. The software I am using is called VM95. It is free, and can be found here: http://www.video-monitoring.com/hobbyist.htm

I have only been using it for about a week, but I am really happy with it. It has had no problems, and the weather station is only a 800 MHz Pentium III, running WD, VM95, and the Salsas.

Well I do have a C5050 but don’t think I’ll be mounting that outside. The older Olympus I have doesn’t appear to be supported.

Thanks for the info.

–Dave

What model is the older olympus?

My daughter has it right now and I can’t remember the model number. Only know it is 1.3 MP at the moment.

–Dave

Edit: Just remembered I had the box for it. It’s a D-360L.

Mine is the C4000. It is NOT mounted outside. Just looking out a window.

Quite a few software options here. These two (and probably more) http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp Cam2Com - Digital Camera Control Software appear to support the d360l (but aren’t free).

I’ve got my old Canon Pro90-IS camera sitting around here doing nothing much at all, and I’ve thought that I should extract my digit and chase up this software and see if I can get it to work with my camera, as I’ve already got the Salsa’s here to do the rest.
:slight_smile:

I’ve been to steves-digicams quite a few times but nerve looked at the software. Both you found look like they’ll do what I want. IF I can find the serial to video cable that came with the camera. #-o

Thanks for the info!

–Dave

I still think this is the way I should go with my webcam. What power source to you use for the camera? Do you have to replace batteries every day, etc? Is is the connection to the computer usb or firewire?

I’m connecting it to the PC using a standard USB cable. I purchased a 6 volt power supply from Radio Shack so I do not need to run it off batteries. The camera I am using has a DC input, so it was quite easy.

Darrell

I have a C4000, I would love to try this. Do you mind telling me what DC power cord you used?

It is just a standard, 6 volt AC to DC adapter. You can find one here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2194437&cp=&sr=1&origkw=6+volt+adapter&kw=6+volt+adapter&parentPage=search

The software is quite easy, but not very user friendly, so it will take you a bit of time to figure it out. I got it working the way I wanted in just a few hours playing around.

I’m surprised more people are not using these. I really love the quality in comparison to the standard web cam.

Darrell,

In the documentation they talk about video capture cards. Hopefully none is needed? - Jim

This is a neat idea. But it got me thinking…#-o I wonder how long a digital camera would last being on 24/7? Unless a person would turn it off (or have a timmer on it) like…when it got dark…Like I said I am just thinking…

Well this thread should make all the people on ebay with broken cameras happy. :slight_smile:

No video capture card is required. That software is designed to work with many types of cameras, including video cameras, which is why the documentation may talk about capture cards.

As far as the reliability of the camera: I was concerned about that too, but there are a few sites running these, 24/7. Somewhere, I read of one that has hit a million images. My camera does make a slight “click” sound every minute, so I do think something mechanical is happening inside. I do have mine set for auto exposure. I may need to change that to aperture priority. The only mechanical movement might be the adjustment of the aperture.

You do NOT want to turn the camera off at night, now that you are still able to get images at night! :smiley: Check out my night time lapse. You can see cloud movements. (I do need to get that camera pointing up soon).

Darrell

Amazing night video and fun to watch the street and your neighbor’s driveway get covered with snow. Now I know what my next project is and EBay here I come. Thanks for bringing this to us. - Jim

Pictures are sure better than my video camera is generating…anyone have an idea where to go to get a list of cameras that can be controlled by a PC?

As ur suggesting it would make the eBay search easier…

Look at reply #12 above. Steve’s Digicam has listing for quite a few programs that support PC control of cameras. Both links that Niko posted are shareware but they support quite a few Olympus cameras. On eBay there is a Olympus store that has quite a few cameras for sale.

–Dave

Yes, I agree. I think this is the best still picture setup I’ve found. Your pictures are GREAT!

The VM95 software that I am using can be found here: http://video-monitoring.com/hobbyist.htm

This same page lists compatable cameras. Olympus cameras include: D575, D595, C4000, C4040, C5050, C5060, C700, C730, C750, C765, C7070, C8080, SP350 and SP500.

I look forward to seeing some new weather cameras in the world! :smiley:

Darrell