Davis Vantage Pro 2 APRS

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and need to buy one of the data loggers for it, either the serial one or the APRS one. Ideally, I’d like to be able to access it from the Web as well as put it on APRS. What’s the difference between the two loggers? Can’t the serial one be used on APRS as well?

Dana, K6NR

I’m confused by the terminology that you are using. As far as I’m aware the 2 types of dataloggers (they fit into the back of the console) currently available from Davis, are the USB and the serial type. This type, refers to the pigtail that goes from the data logger connector to the PC input (ie USB or serial). Hence the name. There is to be an IP version in the future but I don’t think that has been released yet. As far as APRS goes, both data loggers (usb and serial) can happily upload data to CWOP/APRS using the data, downloaded from the datalogger, to the PC and the relevant programme(s). The weather programmes - usually WeatherDisplay, WeatherLink or whatever can upload other data in different formats to your website.

Information gleaned in various threads would indicate that if your PC supports the serial type, then that is the preferred option to USB.

Hope this helps.

There is a specialized “streaming” logger for direct APRS http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06540 but if you are using a software such as Weather Display then that will do the APRS upload for you using the standard weatherlink. I agree with munrobaggins that the serial is the best way to go.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Niko is correct, by “APRS logger” I meant the model 6540 logger. I believe this is the serial logger with additional functionality that allows it to be connected directly to a TNC for APRS without a PC involved. From reading the literature I haven’t been able to determine for sure if the APRS serial logger is a superset of the serial logger. If it is, I would buy it to allow complete flexibility. Anyone out there got the APRS serial logger?

I’m not sure I’ll ever use the logger without a PC as the main plan is to connect it to a Linux system we have out with the weather station. I’m also looking for recommendations as to Linux software that talks to the Vantage Pro 2 loggers.

Dana, K6NR

WD works with the davis vp with its linux version and it supports aprs