1-wire bug has bitten

Hi

Ok i bought a 1-wire weather instument and now have this up and running alongside my ws2310, its connected to a pc in the garage which is at the bottom of the garden with a rs232 1-wire adapter and then via wireless to my router and pc in the front room all running under linux. It took longer to set up the wireless than to set the 1-wire and this was due mainly to a bush in the signal path for my wifi, so bush has now had a haircut…also a tip to get a better transfer rate between pc and router is to put a blank cd (shiny side out) behind the wifi card antenna (thread the antenna through the hole) bumped up my transfer rate from 22mbs to 35mbs and thats at 100ft down the garden and through two walls.

My question is are there any suppliers of weather sensors in th UK other than Audon?? will the ibutton sensors from Home chip work in the one wire system??,or am I going to have to import stuff from far and wide?? sorry if these are stupid questions I am not an electronics man but i can build pc etc from a box of parts…lol…1-Wire is a bit more “Hair Shirt” and the Heath Robinson in me is coming to the fore :smiley:

So now looking for a barometer,outside temp,humidity,rain bucket…etc etc you know how it goes

Steve

Steve, check out Hobby-Boards.com. I know he ships worldwide and you won’t be able to beat the service. I sent a 1-wire hub to Brian through HB and if I remember correctly the shipping was about $7 US and took only a week. Plus he has every thing you mentioned and you can get a lot in kit form.

–Dave

I’ll be happy to take care of your 1-Wire needs :smiley: We have many customers in the UK.

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer then ask away.

Eric

I will second Erics sales and after sales service. :slight_smile: He’s number 1 for 1-wire weather stuff :wink:

Thanks for replys
Eric looking at your www site now.

Regards
Steve

Eric looked after us well after the US Snail decided it was a fun idea to do burnt outs on my master hub, even though it certainly wasn’t his fault.

Yea, they’ve stomped on or driven over a few of my packages but they still offer the best rates by far especially for international.

Eric

Well I agree with you there, I’ve received dozens of R1 DVD delivered by US airmail, as the pricing is realistic, unlike the shipping forced upon the purchaser at a yahoo shop, where it is UPS 3 day, which started around $US90 for a super huge and heavy NexStorm software package (obviously I bought it from elsewhere), but this was the first one to have been really damaged by the postal service.

Thanks for helping me out in that situation Eric.

If its any consilation the Uk mail is the same…but I would say that as I work for a International courier company :smiley: and yes packages get stomped in the courier system also… :lol:

Steve

Hello, I too have and do use Eric’s service, it’s superb. I wonder if he has any more new sensor/addons in the pipe line?

John

:lol: I thought Eric had it about all covered, what sort of new sensors would you like to see?

Is there a cheaper DIY rain meter available (ie just the bits and we provide our own bucket and funnel?). Alas Ive spent my (initial) cash input on the anomente from audon, but am eagerly eying up the kits on hobby-boards.

I have been there with this one, I brought a cheap rain guage, and found it was totaly inaccurate. I now have the same one as you can get from hobby-boards, but I got it from a UK supplier, shipping from the states is just too high, and it’s bril, works a treat.

Wait and save up, do not try to (cheap) it, it won’t pay off.

John

I believe the Hobby Boards rain gauge is simply a commercial Rain Wise wired gauge that they have modified by internally adding their dual counter to count the rain tips. Here in the US, the Hobby Boards already modified gauge is a little less than the stock Rain Wise plus the counter board, so it does not make much sense for me to modify it myself. However, if you already have a quality tipping bucket rain gauge, you can convert it to 1-wire by adding the Hobby Boards dual counter (~US$30).

Steve

I got mine from Fascinating Electronics . It was just the funnel, base and teeter totter. It’s was in semi kit form so there were a couple of things to glue together. Then I just had to connector the reed switch sensor to a rain gauge board (I think mine came from AAG, but HB have one too), calibrate it and I was away. But I just looked at their site to add a url and it’s not in their product list any more :frowning:
It is a fairly simple design made from a ‘square to round’ downpipe converter as the base, with an ordinary old 8" funnel at the top. I made a couple of minor mods to improve it. I could take some pics if anyone is interested. I may even be able to find the instruction sheet that came with it as that shows the design fairly well.

Hi, please add your general location to your profile, then it shows with your posts. It really helps with topics like this where someone is trying to suggest products that are reasonably available to you.

I have a very slightly used rainwise gauge if anyone is the US is looking for a deal :slight_smile: