IP Cam

$84 on ebay, not bad. Probably get a used camcorder and still be within the budget.

Thanks for your quick replys.

I think im only interested in 1 webcam. IP and wireless. But I dont know what to buy. The best thing would be mounting it outside - but I dont know if I can get outside cameras or i have to build it into some enclosure…

Pics of how people mount there webcams are appriciated.

By the way - im using a wireless router for access point.

My weather cam (http://ei4hq.shacknet.nu/weather/wxcam.php) is a bog-standard USB cam mounted inside a double glazed window facing south.

I’ve problems with reflection on sunny days, and at night when I’ve lights switched on inside; a good blackout curtain, or ‘boxing’ the camera so its hidden from the stray internal light deals with that however. Not much can be done about the sunny days unfortunately…

Double glazing definitely makes things worse - you get total internal reflection causing multiple ghosting.

Mounting cameras outside obviously requires waterproof enclosures, and in my experience simply isn’t worth the hassle - at least if you’re in a ‘wet’ environment - I had continuous problems with condensation etc. no matter what I tried.

I’ve a streaming IP camera mounted inside a window also, and its fine subject to the cavaets above. If you can find a camera on eBay made by Axis, they are very good…

Anyone who knows a Linksys Wireless Cam - see this link:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1134691947479&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I think I easily could mount it inside at the top of a window behind the curtains (then i dont have the trouble from the wife when my webcam is standing at the bottom of the window)

thats looks perfect for what i need… however, not to sound dumb, i presume it takes stills as well and not just video ?

Hi

Yes i think it can take stills too.

I havent tried it yes because I cant get to work wireless.

I have tried to turn off all securities in my router but still no luck. Now im waiting for answer from Linksys Support.

I use one of these http://www.gadspot.com/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=ae4f4f4162116262b69e6f96e336382f and it works a treat.

I now have my IP Wireless cam up and running. (Had to open port 1024 in my router in port forwarding.)

The software whick came with the cam cant automatik take still pics - so I need a program for automatik saving a pic (iv. every minute) to use in 3rd part webcam setup in WD.

Anyone who knows a good webcam capture program ? (it would be nice if it was a freeware)

if the image is available as a URL, then get WD to grab that image via the HTTP download (which also has username/password if thats needed)

thats my problem - the image runs in an active-x component and not as an url. So I need a capture program that can save images automatic from an Linksys IP Network camera. I just dont know any programs to use.

I was wondering if an IP network cam can run in webcamcapture.exe but i cant find in the the “Current video capture devise”

You would have to use any included software to take snapshots and then use those snapshots.

The included software cant automatic make snapshots - only by manually pushing a button. There is no url to the webcam page because it the images run in an active-x component.

Therefore im looking for some other software to use for automatic snapshots.

is there a setup (via a web page) for the camera ?

yes there is a setup page for the camera (192.168.1.5) but it can not make automatic snapshots - only manually.

Hi

I just bought the Business Edition of VisionGS capture program. It can find my Wireless IP Linksys cam and save snapshots to disk for further use in WD every minut (and a lot other options)

So what do you think of the image quality? You are able to upload still images with this process to you website on a regular basis?

I havent got that far yes - but yes it can upload to website in a schedule you make. (ie. every 10 seconds or 1 minute etc.)

I think the quality of the images is ok - I cant see the difference from the Linksys software and VisionGS.

I use 4 Quality ccd cameras in weather proof housings (See Pic) all connected to a ip9100 Ip video Server (i use a php script to pull the images off every 30sec which dave from Hamlynheightsweather.com worked out and supplied the script) works well for me

http://www.geelongweather.com/webcameras.jpg

Kinda cute.