Online forecast display

I love the look of this add on, and would like to incorporate this into my web site. Unfortunately, I am a bit…um…slow… when it comes to setting up these things up and, despite reading the instructions, am still very much in the dark as how to do this. I have uploaded all the images to www.fortwilliamweather.com/wwwroot/wxsimforecast but I do not really understand what I need to edit in the wsofd.php file to make it all work. Also, can I automate the upload of the wxsim output plaintext.txt and how do I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am oh so confused!

Cheers

Is PHP installed on your server?

how would I find that out?

Make a file info.php with this inside:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

then upload it, view it, and see what it says.

Jordan

I’m following this with interest as I’m at the same lack of understanding as Scanman…mine came up with ver 4.3.11…Next (after Scanman of course)

baggins

hmmmm…tried that in word pad, saved it as info.php and uploaded it, and it says it does not exist. Tried opening on my desktop too, but 'puter said it could not open it. Beginning to think this may be a wee bit above my head!!! :oops:

I have a quick question…

On many forecasts produced by WxSIM, I see detailed verbage like:

Fair to partly cloudy in the evening, becoming mostly cloudy after midnight. A slight chance of a mix of snow and rain after midnight. Low 1. Wind west around 5 mps. Chance of precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than 2 mm. No snow accumulation expected.

On others (and mine) I see much less like:

Tonight: Dense overcast. Low 68. Wind south-southwest near calm.

What makes the difference?

Scanman: It won’t open on the PC unless you have a web server and php running on there.

How did you upload it? If it was with a regular ftp client can you see the file on the server?

Also, can I automate the upload of the wxsim output plaintext.txt and how do I do it?

Control Panel–>FTP & Connections–>General FTP Functions tab.
Click ‘Choose the file’ find and select the plaintext.txt file
Under ‘Remote Directory to use’ fill in your directory and click SET. (I think /wwwroot/wxsimforecast should work for you.)
Choose the times you want to upload the plaintext.txt file. (I upload mine 5 minutes after I have WXSIM create the forecast.)

You should have something like the screen cap below.

–Dave

Try NotePad, and save as .php, and choose All Files (not txt). You cannot create new PHP files in WordPad without an additional extension being appended (rtf?).

Jordan

Your forecast is detailed; your weather is not changing. The addition of precipitation to a forecast period adds quite a bit of extra verbiage. Jordan

Create a directory. If you upload all the files in scripts.zip, example.zip, and imgpack.zip to that same directory, you can let:

Server location of plain text forecast

$slplaintxt = “plaintext.txt”;

Server location of weather type file

$slwxtypdat = “wxtypedata.txt”;

Server location of fallen precip file

$slprecipam = “precipamt.txt”;

Web location of forecast images directory

$imglnkloc = “”;

…in config.php, with everything else as the default.

Then load example.php in your web browser and see if you were successful at installation.

Best wishes, Jordan

Tried making info.php in both notepad and word pad, and ftp’d them to my server. I can see it in the directory, but when I try to open it in IE, all I get is an error 404 - file not found.

…and it worked! I can definitely get the the example to work on my site…now to suss the rest of it in slow time!

Regards and best wishes with the studies. A donation for your efforts sent via PayPal… :smiley: :smiley:

Are the permissions set OK, assuming it’s a Linux server?

Are you sure it is not accidently named info.php.txt? Jordan

Munrobaggins (Roger) kindly sent me a copy of his info.php file which I uploaded and tried, still with no luck. I am therefore left with the conclusion my server is not php enabled. This is a great pity, as I love the look of the forecast charts produced.

However, Brian Hamilton is also looking at incorporating a facility for WD to produce similar charts. While there are still one or two minor nits with this, it is working reasonably well, so I am sticking with WD’s version for now. I have set this to run and update thrice daily on my website and, all in all, am fairly pleased with the result.

I have purchased the WXSIM program altough have not received it yet. In preparation I have been trying the forecasts and of course have a question! If you look at this test site http://www.branfordfire.com/weather/simtest.php you will see that I have a “chance of cloudy”. Does this look normal since I don’t have the full data package yet? Or is there something wrong with my images etc?

Thanks,

Jack

I don’t see it right now…is it still showing?

I could be wrong but I thought he was talking about the 0% showing under the forecast condition and temp. Like there’s a 0% chance of Sunny. If so, firewall, that is the chance of precipitation not the chance of the condition.

–Dave