Forecast Page of Carter Lake Template

I am trying to get up and running with the Carter Lake template and it has been fairly painless. I can’t however, seem to get the forecast page to work. I believe I have followed the instructions closely concerning getting the 5 day forecast downloaded. I have a text file flz047.txt and it has the information on it. When the page load though, it only shows:

NWS Forecast: Expires:200612272300;;301744

So I know it is reading at least part of the file. Any ideas?

The page is at:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/melbourneweather/wx2.html

Can you possibly post a screen shot of that part of the
setup page?

ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/zone/fl/flz047.txt

has the stuff there. Must be something checked or unched that shouldnt be

Hope this helps.

5day.JPG

Your setup looks ok for downloading the forecast. If you have a current copy of the zone forecast in your set download dir then it looks to be a problerm with the page generation, ie. wxlocal file not finding the forecast.

Since the page is displaying the date and time that the forecast expires, should that not mean that wxlocal is finding the file?

Whats in the source file for the forecast, is it using tags to generate the forecast?

Right from the template. Here it is:
snip—

<h3>National Weather Service Forecast</h3> 

%5dayforecastdayday1%

%5dayforecastday1%

%5dayforecastdayday2%

%5dayforecastday2%

%5dayforecastdayday3%

%5dayforecastday3%

%5dayforecastdayday4%

%5dayforecastday4%

%5dayforecastdayday5%

%5dayforecastday5%

%5dayforecastdayday6%

%5dayforecastday6%

%5dayforecastdayday7%

%5dayforecastday7%

NWS Forecast: %5dayforecasttimestamp%

snip—

Yes, it isn’t converting the tags correctly. Have you followed the directions given in the taglist file for using those tags?

Maybe not. I am not sure what directions to follow. The tags just seemed to work on the other pages. Where can I find these directions? Thanks for your patience.

I did look up the list of tags if that is what you mean and made sure that the ">%5dayforecastday2% was the correct spelling etc.

In my taglist where those tags are that your using are some notes about using them and the forecast. Not sure if thats your problem or not but something you might want to check…

Hi,
Your forecast download setup looks correct…

Is there a file saved as flz047.txt and located in c:\program files\wdisplay\ ?

If you click on c:\program files\wdisplay\flz047.txt and open with notepad or some text editor, does it look like the link above? ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/zone/fl/flz047.txt

If you click on the main screen icon does a 5 day forecast appear ?

Yes, there is that file in my c:\program files\wdisplay directory. I also copied it into c:\program files\wdisplay directory just to make sure that was not the problem. The file looks very close to the one you posted. Here it is.

flz047.txt (1.67 KB)

When the HTML is generated and uploaded, I get this text at the bottom.

NWS Forecast: Expires:200612280900;;311905

That is part of the flz047.txt, so it is at least getting something out of the file.

the trick is, you need the 5 day forecast (see that after clicking the main screen icon) setup and working Ok and updating (i.e set to update to your web page) for those custom tags to work…

As Windy pointed out, you need to create the 5 day forecast file to get the tags.

So once you can click on the main screen icon and see the 5 day forecast

goto Control panel> Internet File Creation & Uploads> Setup page #2>
Then set creation times for “File #40 5 day forecast”. This will create files
forecast5day.gif and eight icon gif files, forecasticon5day1.gif through
forecasticon5day8.gif in the webfiles subdirectory. If you are not using forecast5day.gif
on your website don’t set any upload times for File #40

Thanks! That fixed it.

One last detail. Is the last line supposed to look like this?

NWS Forecast: Expires:200612282100;;324377

I believe on other people’s pages I have seen better formatting for the date.

Well… it worked for awhile. For some reason, I keep having to go to the forecast icon and click “reset back to NWS use.” The webpage displays fine for awhile. But then stops. If I re-check the forecast icon it is again blank until I click “reset back to NWS use”

Is there a seperate setup for nws forecast that I am missing?

No resolution yet. It seems like everytime the new forecast is released, the forecast disappears from my webpage. If I tick “reset back to nws use” it starts working again. But in about 12 hours, I will have to go do it again.

After some further research, it appears that my nws forecast disappears whenever I restart WD. I can reset it back to the nws forecast as I shared in my previous post.

Obviously the problem is in my setup. I can’t seem to find a setting to set WD to the nws forecast.

Any ideas?