Logitech Quickcam Pro5000 / Microsoft Lifecam VX6000

Hi :slight_smile:
I have been running a Logitech Quickcam Pro5000 and a Microsoft Lifecam VX6000 side by side for some days to compare them. Here are some pictures and alldayvideos from my test: www.hasslosa.se/camtest/comp1.html
I took some pictures with a Pentax Optio 550 as reference. Considering that they are cheap cameras made for indoor use they are not so bad. :roll: Both cameras work with 12,5m cable (3m–>5m active–>3m–>~1.5m camera cable). I tested this on 2 different computers without problem.

:slight_smile: Krister

Hi,

Thanks for making the side by side comparisons between these two cameras. I noticed that the Pro5000 seems to have a sharper image. I am not too satisfied with my VX6000 at the moment. Can’t get the foreground and the sky to show together. Either the foreground is nice but the sky is washed out or the foreground is underexposed and the sky is nice. Especially in the morning and the camera is pointing southeast. In the afternoon, I can get a relatively good all around exposer. I also went and bought the Pro5000 but it is still in the box. No time to play with it. Question, did you install the Pro5000 software before attaching the camera to the computer? I am hoping that the Pro5000 will work with WD’s Web Cam Capture program so WDL Web Cam button will work. Any suggestions as to the settings for both camera’s in the WD’s Web Cam Capture program?

Again thanks for a great job in making these comparisons.

It has been kind of quiet in this part of the Forum.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Hi Stan
The Pro cam has some kind of autofocus (no manual focus ring) so it’s easier to get sharp images with that cam. It is very difficult to show both skye and foreground, i took several photos with the Pentax using different settings but only the first one is good, the last one is No:9314 so i have had some practice in using that camera :lol: With the webcams you have to find a setting in the middle if you don’t want to spend your days changing the camera settings for every cloud that passes by. :?
Yes install drivers first.
Both cameras works fine with WD-Webcamcapture
Here is a link to my cam settings for the Pro cam from another tread: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/142769

Krister,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I did see tread on your Pro Cam settings. Guess that there has to be a happy place to settle for the settings to be satisfied for the average day light conditions/changes. I am still not really satisfied with the settings that I have with the VX6000. Sometime next weekend, if time permits, I am hoping that the Pro Cam 5000 will be easier to find that sweet spot.

Thanks again.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Silversword… your URL is not valid.

The Pro5000 definitely seems to have better low light capability, and the image is crisper than the VX6000.

Thanks for the comparison.

Silversword is missing an “l” in “html”.

Hi,

Did not notice that problem. Added the “l”. Thanks carterlake for seeing the problem. Hope to get the Pro5000 up and running sometime this weekend and see any difference at my location.

Thanks again for seeing the error in the URL.

It is night time now for the next 10 hrs. or so in Hawaii.

–Stan Y.
Maui. Hawaii

Hi again

I am hoping that the Pro Cam 5000 will be easier to find that sweet spot.
The biggest problem with the Pro cam is the ugly red tone that appears in clouds in bright light, you need to adjust the camera on a sunny day with some clouds. What resolution have you set on your VX cam, it looks very pixellated in your WDL. I increased the resolution on the VX from 640x480 to 1024x768, i think this made the images sharper but i need to adjust all settings to be sure.

Krister,

The resolution is set at the default level as 352X288 on the WD WebCam Capture Program. The highest size that I can see is 800X600 in the Video Size box. The Preferred Video Size (Examples) box is set at Device Sizes and in this area the highest size that I can see is 480X360. Where can I change the resolution on the VX6000 to have a better resolution. Hope that I will be able to work things out with this camera one of these days. Will still try to play with Pro5000 and see what happens to those red tones that read about. Maybe it is just the sunset colors 8O or even sunrise colors. I don’t think the mid day red tones will fly though.

Thanks for your observation and hope to be able to make things work for the better.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Hi Stan
The images get the resolution you set in the video size box if you tick device sizes.
It’strange that you only have 800x600, mine goes to 1280x1024 8O

Krister,

Thanks for your input. I can only see 800x600 resolution in this box. I see that yours goes up to 1280X1024. I wonder if my monitor resolution setting has any influence on this? Will have to play with that and see what happens. What do you have selected on the Video input box? Mine is set to RGB24.

Thanks again for your input.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Hi Stan
I don’t have any options for video input, only “default” 8O
What options do you have in The “Microsoft LifeCam” program?

Edit: After restarting WD i now have default, RGB24 and I420 all 3 goes to 1280.

Krister,

I upped my monitor graphics and still see only 800X600 resolution in that box. I don’t see that slider on the side like yours either. Interesting to see that there is a difference between your version and mine. The Version for my Web Cam Capture is 4.5

Will have to see what the driver for the VX6000 is doing. Maybe that is the reason. Will Have to find out how to set the resolution at the driver level.

Thanks for any info on this.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

you should see a slider down the left hand side of the web cam image
can you post a screen shot?

Hi
I have version 4.4

Brian,

I don’t see the slider down the left side of that section of the web cam program. How do I post any screen shot on the forum? Haven’t done this yet. I see that others have but will have to figure it out.

Hope that I will be able to resolve this with my system.

Krister, I was using that version also a few revisions back and did not notice that slider back then also.

Thanks.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

hit the PrtSc button the keyboard
and then paste as an image in say Ifranview (free program you can download, and then use that program to resize the image to a low size), then use use the additional options link at the bottom left hand corner of this posting box to be able to append/upload that image (gif say)

Brian,

Lets see if this works. Notice that there are no slider in the selections area.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Looks like it work out okay. Thanks for the lesson. Notice that the image is black due to that, it is night time when I did this.

Again lesson learned. Thanks

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

there is a slider there to select the size of the web cam image…slide it down to make the image much larger…its just to the left of the web cam image
or are you talking/looking at something else?