VVP losing contact with console

I’m using VVP 1.1.2.15 Beta (but the same happened with the previous beta version I was running…1.1.1.x?) with a VP2/serial data logger + serial->USB converter.

Every so often (usually days apart) VVP loses contact with the console and my graphs all flatline. When this happens I just disconnect/reconnect and everything wakes up again as if nothing had happened. The log shows…

00:00:06:890 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 00:00:08:828 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 13:47:02:625 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 13:47:04:703 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data 13:47:05:906 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 13:47:07:109 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 13:47:09:171 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data 13:47:10:375 Warning - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console 13:47:10:437 Error - VpConsole: Several consecutive failures of console to respond. Will try to reconnect. 13:47:11:062 Warning - VpConsole: Far too long since last loop = 10.578, last command= Get Live Sensor Data

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I also get this on a fairly regular basis…

06:06:02:812 PreCondition - TVirtualVp.ReceiveLoop: PreCondition 1 failed 06:06:02:968 PreCondition - TVirtualVp.ReceiveLoop: PreCondition 1 failed 06:06:03:968 PreCondition - TVirtualVp.ReceiveLoop: PreCondition 1 failed 06:06:04:734 PreCondition - TVirtualVp.ReceiveLoop: PreCondition 1 failed 06:06:05:765 PreCondition - TVirtualVp.ReceiveLoop: PreCondition 1 failed

Unfortunately the log doesn’t include the date so I don’t know normally know whether the Precondition error is days before the loss of connection or on the same day (in this log it appears to be on at least the previous day.

One other thought…and I don’t know if this is possible. If VVP loses contact with the console does it carry on sending the last data it read from the console to WD? If it stopped sending data at that point, presumably WD would timeout eventually and when everything was reset WD would try to read the archived data from the console to backfill the graphs. As it is, WD just has flatlines and no-easy way (that I can think of) to get the missing data back.

As it is, WD just has flatlines and no-easy way (that I can think of) to get the missing data back.
what you need to do is, go to the data logger setup and then set the time to get the data from to the start of the flat lining then exit wd then delete the flat line data from the logfile 112006lg.txt and start up wd then once its caught up on the data, then go action, convert wd logfiles to graphs, then also go recreate the last 31 days data (this works OK now with the latest 10.36u version)

Thanks…that worked fine. I was a little worried at first because it counted up in 5 minute chunks. I thought that was strange because I was sure I’d set a 1 minute archive period. It went back and re-read all the minutes after afterwards s I started breathing again!

I’m working on a fix that will try to reconnect if the connection is lost. I’m hoping to have it ready this weekend.

Steve

Sounds good :smiley:

I’m using VVP 1.1.3 now which I assume is the version that tries to restart dropped connections. I’m not sure how the process works, but I just heard my WX PC beep. When I took a look at it and noticed that the virus software had updated and had popped a dialog box up to say that it needed the PC rebooted. VVP was showing red for all the connections and WD had stopped seeing any updates. I let VVP run for over a minute with the broken connections but it didn’t restart them or even show any attempt to reset the connections. A quick Disconnect/Connect in VVP brought the links back up and WD saw new data almost straight away. Does this sound like it’s working and I just gave up on it too soon?

There was situation (about an 5 second window during the connection recovery sequence) where that could occur. I’ve made a change to address that and recently put up a new version with that fix (v.1.1.4) at http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html

Steve

The daily 06:06 PreCondition error is coming from the Datalogger > WD station setup window in the control panel. WD is doing its daily Get/Set time.