WD and High CPU usage -> solution, re install nividia video driver

The past week, I have noticed WD using a ton of cpu…sometimes 97%, then it drops down to 0%, I see random spikes in task manager to 40-50%…this occurs when ftpud is not uploading and I’m just sitting here not even typing or touching the mouse. Going into the control panel and selcting an icon, WD freezes, menus all dissapear…once the high cpu spike is over, it resests then it is fine till the next time it happens
I am running a amd 3000, with 1gb ddr 400 mh ram…all other apps run fine, and windows is stable…I have xp sp2

forgot to add the screenshot

WD_cpu.JPG

you might have something set to create/update that uses alot of cpu, i would say…
hard to know unless i check your settings…

files have been sent
Thanks, Doug

any luck checking on this Brian?..getting to where most menus I click on freeze wd for maybe 45 sec-1 min…then sometimes when the high cpu useage stops, i can resume what i was doing…I have scaled back all file create/upload times and still no difference

did you get my email?
you had some only updated daily data /high cpu use updating, things set to update regurlarly in the customise internet and file creation setup

also check that you dont have in use the every 1 minute update option

did the high cpu use happen with a recent upgrade of wd?
try this update:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD.zip
10.36u build 11

i had added to update the clientraw.txt file more often during update of webfiles, etc…but i might have overdone it…wound that back now a few nothces…

I didn’t receive your email…I have scaled back most un-needed file creatiom fumctioms, and no 1-minute uploads set…I am getting build 11 now

I basically see it as a fact of life that WD will eat CPU cycles, especially if you are going to turn on a bunch of stuff and have it process it all at an often interval.

I’ve been running WD on my main workstation for a week or so since the dedicated WD workstation hard disk failed. Up until then, WD has basically almost always had its own box to play in.

This past week has been a pain in the butt, to the point, that I’ve actually had to turn WD off occasionally so that I could get something important done that was time critical.

I am doing 1 min updates, but only for the barest of settings and don’t create or upload much of anything else.

I have finally decided how I plan on fixing the other computer and will hopefully actually have time to do it the next day or two. I can’t wait until I can move the weather stuff to its own machine again. I even have it connected to the net over on the business side of things so it has a direct connection to the web server which has the same internal network connection back channel.

I think that having its own machine is a better option if you can afford to do it. I like my main workstation fast and snappy as I beat the crap out of the box in normal use just by myself.

It is not unusual to have a browser with 10+ tabs open, Text Editor (4 or more files open), MSIE with a SSL connection to work with a Remote Desk Top to my box at work, VPN connection, full Xwindows running with connections to 10 or more other sites and of course Xara Xtreme with 4 or 5 different open graphic files.

So I can’t complain.

in my email Doug, you had things like the detailed climate report (where the data only updates daily) being updated every 15 minutes or something like that…

just upgraded to 10.36u build 11

can see WD doing around 8 seconds of processing at the top of each minute including webfiles update - seems a lot - the clock stops for 8 seconds? CPU around 50% for those 8 seconds - was on 10.36m before - only 1 or 2 seconds processing on each minute apart from webfiles update.

i will undo what i had done a bit more then :wink:

try this next update martyn:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD.zip
does not cause much problem here on the minute, in a quick test…

ok - running that version - still build 11?

still the same 8 second processing each minute - what is WD doing during those 8 seconds? :slight_smile:

Still shows ver 11 here…and still the spikes up to 97%…It seems it is using less memory though, it was in the 60-70mb range before, now in the 45-50 range, but it has only been running 30 mins on this version
Doug

note that before i wass forcing the clock to update during the minute house cleaning…but am not now…but i will add in a at least a cople of forced updates maybe…

just upgraded my pc…cpu use spikes to about 32% on the minute…and yes the clock stops for 7 seconds…(note, new weather data from the com port will still be processed in that time)
i see what the bottlenecks are.,…

well it is no biggie, just curious - and as you say data is still received ok and no errors.

there must be something that doug has wd set to do that is causing the high spike…
because i am not forcing the clock to update (i did not like what i was doing there, as the clock update was in a routine where there was other routines (based on a timer) that if updated too many times (more than it should) then that could cause problems…), it showing up how long all the updating of data and checking on settings/things to do, etc etc is taking.,…
but now i can try and find the big bottlenecks

i see the following CPU usage on each minute update

spike.gif

Brian…I ahve scaled back all my file creation, and have nothing that is set to 1 minute intervals…want my files again?..what I have noticed since the update of build 11, wd is using less memory, but still having the spikes