Webcam Software

Hi guys…

I have been having some problems with the wdwebcapture.exe program (memory usage and commit time jumps randomly, causing the computer to freeze), so I am interested in purchasing a separate webcam software program.

I have downloaded the trial versions of ImageSalsa and WebcamXP. I was sort of confused by the UI when using ImageSalsa, but like WebcamXP so far. I saw that the price of WebcamXP was $40, which is the most I would like to spend. Also, I was trying to get the streaming video on my website using WebcamXP, but had some problems.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

–Tim

are you sure its wdwebcamcapture.exe causing your pc to freeze
i think this is the first report i have had of that
and what do you mean by commit time jumping randomly exactly?

Brian,

I am fairly sure that is what is causing the computer to freeze.

The commit charge will jump from the mid 500’s to around 2000.

–Tim

instead of watching the commit charge, watch the memory use of the program via the processes tab

also check you dont have wdwebcamcapture.exe producing a video file that is getting bigger and bigger all time

Brian,

I did check the memory use of the program and noticed it at about 97,000 K. Also, I know that wdwebcamcapture.exe was causing the high commit charge, as this happened once before, and after I ended it, the commit charge went back to normal.

–Tim

it should be only using about 13,000 k

there must be some settings that are conflicting or causing alot of memory, e,g avi movie file production…

you could try this…exit the wdwebcamcapture.exe
then run regedit.exe, and search for wdisplayftp.ini in the registry
then find the key, Web cam capture
and delete that whole key…to wipe clean the settings for the web cam
and then start from scratch
try that if you are interested

If you’re going to spend the dollars, you’d be better going the ImageSalsa way. :slight_smile:

I use it here for all my webcamera shots and weather ‘stickers’.

Have a look at:
http://www.webcamfirst.com/
is very good and free
you can see it on my website in action.

Cheers, Rolf.

Brendan,

How much is ImageSalsa? Do you have to have VWS in order to place custom tags on the screen? How is the UI? As I said before, I found it quite confusing.

Thanks, Rolf. I will take a look at it once it is light over there. :wink:

–Tim

it used to be comptible with WD via the data.csv file you can set wd to create…
but i think the format of that has changed…if i knew what has changed, i can fix that…

Ambient changed the data.csv file layout from V1.00 to V1.01 somewhere around 12.07 P56. The change broke all third party software using the file. Jason fixed Image Salsa but I can’t remember if he left support for V1.00 in the product or not. His website shows he supports WD. If you haven’t done so you might want to contact him at [email protected].

thanks…i will send him email…we have not swapped emails for a long time…
Aifan, also, please try that registry reset of the wd webcam capture settings, and start over with the settings, as I would be interested in seeing if you get it using much less memory and being stable again

Like Oz, I use ImageSalsa for all my cam and sticker overlays, as well as a lot of other stuff. I also make use of MovieSalsa, and my Toshiba Cam is featured on his MS demo page. Like Brian and WD, Jason and IS/MS are well supported and worth every penny.

There’s 3 versions of ImageSalsa, and the ‘weather’ version is the one you’d need to go for, which is $US49.95 whilst it does cost you money, it is money well spent.

I also bought MovieSalsa for $US19.95 so that I could take all my webcam images and produce a ‘movie’ of them all.

As far as the tags are concerned, WD can produce a data2.csv file, which you point ImageSalsa at and it reads them all quite happily, so you do not need to be running vws :slight_smile: to utilise ImageSalsa.

ImageSalsa was probably the last thing that kept me running vws for as long as I did, as I didn’t think it would work with WD, but later on found out that it works great with WD. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, when a certain clown blocks a full Class ‘C’ range of IP’s, it prevents you from viewing the ImageSalsa support forums on the ‘ambient’ support site, but whilst I providing dozens of helpful posts for the vws people in there, Jason provided wonderful support and help with his product.

:slight_smile:

I’ve got the weather version of ImageSalsa for my streaming webcams, currently using the beta 2 version. Development seems to have stopped on ImageSalsa, but it’s very stable and it does everything I need it to do. I also use MovieSalsa for my weather movies (mine is also featured on his demo page). I also feel it’s money well-spent.

Another option besides VWS is to use VP Live, which can produce a data.csv file. But it currently uses version 1.00 and is only compatible with the older versions of ImageSalsa, but that issue is on Steve’s to-do list.

Thanks for all of the insight, guys. :slight_smile:

I would really like to hear some thoughts from those of you that are using Webcam XP.

–Tim

so if you set imagesalsa to use the metric data2.csv, then its OK?

Aifan, did you try the reset of the wdwebcam settings?

i dont have any problems myself with wd webcamcapture of the movie generation by wd’s movie maker, and wd’s webcam capture can do direct network streaming, and can handle custom tags, etc…for the text…but,otherwise, yes, lots of people recommend image salsa,…

Yep, works fine here for me.

Aifan, have you tried the reset of WD’s webcam settings and then start from scratch
i would like to know if that fixed the memory use and stability