Webcam capture stops

Hi, have set up the webcam capyure to produce the video and provide the site with webcam image, so far so good, but the webcamproggy stopping all time and i have to hit the “start now” button to get it back on track. I have the “keep alive” option on.
Sometime it stops after 30 seconds after start, and sometime it runs for 10-20 minutes then it stops again. anybody else having this problem, or even a better, a fix?

Cheers

Q

What characteristics has your PC ? You have biggish main storage what about size processor? I had some time ago similar problem ,when mine PC had processor Duron800Mhz and main storage 256 MB. Me always "freeze - up"my webcam.Now after upgrade of my PC on main storage 768 MB I I haven’t any problems. Jirka

try setting to update every 5 seconds say…and tick, safe file copy…

/joking on
oh well pentium 3.4ghz and 4 gigs of mem with a 500gig sata2 disk should do the task i guess :lol:
/joking off
now serious, i dont thinks its a hardware problem, its just that it stops to produce the img once in the minute, the live stream looks ok…

where in the webcam capture 3.6 do i find those options?

cheers

in the file save, set the seconds frequeuncy to say 5
and tick, create tomporary file (safe mode)
also, the latest version of the webcamcapture is now 4.1
try using the latest version , also

I’ve been having the same problem as Questra. Except mine runs about 6 hrs before stopping. Clicking the start button get’s things going again. If I shut down WD’s webcam capture, and immediately start my camera’s own capture software (Which is crappy compared to WD’s, IMHO) everything is fine, and capturing does not stop. A clue might be in a windows xp error report from yesterday. It said “there was an error in the module quartz.dll and WD Webcamcapture must shutdown”. I believe that quartz.dll has something to do with system timing and clock? I have already tried resetting the capture frequency to all kinds of different time intervals…to no avail. My settings has always had safe mode on and I’ve tried every other setting that can be changed, but so far nothing has remedied the situation. I’m using latest WD webcam capture that comes with 10.36S full install. This problem started happening as of this this WD Capture version (4.1). As a work-around for now, is there a batch command I could use, to activate WD Webcamcapture’s Start button? I could run that every hour from task manager.

tried to do that but no joy at all below is all mine setting regarding the webcamsetup:

And now, after i installed ver 4.1 i wont upload to the webfilesfolder… if i run the create last hour or last day video its creating it, but i cant find it, nor in the alldayfolder or in mine webfilesfolder…

and the last 2 files from mine setup is here:

i see you have direct network streaming enabled?
try stopping that as a test?
also, the latest verson of moviemaker.exe, now produces a log file, moviemakerlog.txt, wd you have WD installed, so you can see what it is doing (what file and where ,etc) for debuging

So i stopped the live streaming and the result was the same, no joy at all, running for some time and then it stopps, its still produsing the timestampt img but its the same img all over from the time it stopped updating.

moviemakerlog.txt looks ok, here its the first and the bottom lines:
Time/Date: 12:11:04 04.11.2006

Filename for the source time stamed files :webcamimage.jpg
Directory set for the time stamped file :G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\webcam
copying file G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\webcam\0801webcamimage.jpg to G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\alldayvideo\0801jpgwebcam.jpg
then it runs for each minute and the bottom looks like this:
copying file G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\webcam\1210webcamimage.jpg to G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\alldayvideo\1210jpgwebcam.jpg
[INFO] selected subtype: YUY2
Doing final part
recording completed
running bat file now G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\alldayvideo\encodenew2.bat
checking option to upload file :yes
checking to see when to upload file
checking for file: G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\finish.txt
checking for file: G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\finish.txt
found and deleting file: G:\xampp\htdocs\wd\finish.txt
executing the ftpupd.exe program now and closing

cheers

but its not copying the file over to the webfilesfolder it stays in the alldayvideo folder

Its driving me nuts now #-o #-o finaly seems to be running fine, then the all day webcam video screws up its making the movie, but it allways stops @ 11:17 its not a cache problem as i have deleted the previous videolast day, tried both to let it run normal some minutes over each hour and using the create video button in the all day video set up. the movimakerlog shows its using all files but its stops half way around…

link to video http://stavanger.sytes.net/page.php?63
direct link to alldayfolder: http://stavanger.sytes.net/wd/alldayvideo/videolastday.wmv

cheers

moviemakerlog.txt (35.9 KB)

I think i found the ghost… i was changing size of the webcam img around 11:20 and that must be the reason for stopping creating the lastday video correct, the lasthour works fine now, the same does webcam capture 4.1. i will let it run now and look at the lastday video tomorrow when the size is not affecting anything.

Thanks for all support so far.

cheers

yes, windows media encoder need the images to be of a certain standard size
you can add some parameters to the .bat file to crop the image…there is an aticle on that in the FAQ

oh well was running fine yesterday eve, but today it started to get hickups again, if you take a look at todays movie you will see the gaps in the film: http://stavanger.sytes.net/page.php?63 sometimes its start by itself, othertimes i need to start it.

Im running a dedicated server for web, wd, and webcam only. A pentium4 3.4ghz and 4 gigs of mem running with xp-pro

IF i let wd control the moviemaker does that meen i dont need to run web cam capture at all?

cheers

IF i let wd control the moviemaker does that meen i dont need to run web cam capture at all?
yes (i.e if you are not actualy using wdwebcamcapture.exe to create the web cam image)

well im about to give the hole webcamcaputre thing up, its keep stopping all time and i cant find out why, today if it has runned for a hour then the moviemaker has collapsed and if webcamcature hickups the moviemaker works… i may try to work something out by using a third part software like webcamXP pro or similar

cheers

when you say stopped, what exactly do you mean?
what stops exactly?

i dont have any problems myself

can you post a screen shot of the file save setup in the wdwebcamcapture program?

did you make the changes i suggested?

Maybe I can shed some light… I posted a reply to this same thread at: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/143017 but it got buried. To sum up what is happening on mine… wdwebcamcapture.exe just quits capturing at random times, for no apparent reason. If I click wdwebcam capture’s start button, it resumes capturing (indicating that my webcam is still live and not locked up,etc.) I’m now using my camera’s own capture program, and it works fine, so I don’t think it’s a camera hardware/driver issue. One thing Questra and I have in common, we both have 3.4 ghz CPU’s (mines a Duo core). Maybe it’s something to do with fast computers? :dontknow:

do you have ticked, keep alive? (under the main switch)
do you have set to create time freq seconds set to above 0?