Weather station on a alpine downhill skiplace.

Hi, i have got an requst of setting up an weather station in an alpine downhill skiplace.

They want temperature and wind readings both at the bottom and on the top of the course.

At the bottom there’s a cafeteria with dsl/broadband. at the top there’s a power outlet, gsm mobile coverage, (maybe wlan coverage)
The top location is not visible from the bottom. in distance it is about 2km

So how can i do this?

I know Davis VP2 has long range repeaters, with this one can i place the repeater in line of sight of both places, but somehow Davis does not support 2 aneometers, or do they?

Lacrosse has limited wireless range and no extra aneometer possibilty.

So maybe i should go for to two weather stations, the one on top is a VP2 transmitting via a long range repeater down to the bottom, the other one located at the bottom can be a cheap lacrosse.

Is this the best way to go? or have i got this totaly wrong? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance, i appreciate any feedback.

A Davis console can only display one ISS/anemometer at a time. However, you can buy 2 Davis stations and set them to different channels so they don’t interfere with each other. One console displays the top station and the other console displays the bottom station.

Be aware that “channel” in Davisspeak means a different identifier sent with the data, not a different radio freqency. With the frequency hopping of the VP2 then it should work out OK, but if you can install it I would think about (cheaper) a wired VP2 for the lower location, and just use wireless for the top. IMHO you would be asking for trouble using a “cheap lacrosse” in that environment.

I would think you would want something with heated anemometers.
Sounds like a location begging for true professional equipment.

Good point, a job for vaisala!

Yup…heated sonic anemometer.

Buy one for all of us too. 8)

I thought the Vaisala was wired so it probably won’t help in this case. It would be a good cold weather device though