Which Web Cam??

Hi,

I would like to know which web cam to use on WDL that is compatible with WD’s Web Cam Capture. I am currently using the X10 wireless and the resolution is really bad and I can’t get it better for now. I see a lot of users out there that uses the Logitech Cam’s but don’t know which models… Also was looking at MS’s VX6000 and the Logitech 4000 Pro that seems to be about the same specs and in the same price range. Anyone have a preference? Also, any wireless cam’s in the same price range let’s say under $100.00 USD??? Guess the most bang for the money???

I also have a LinkSys Wireless WVC54G that uses IP on my internal network but the software at the moment will not allow a scheduled JPG image. It will take manual JPG images so this system will not work with WD’s Web Cam Capture program that I know of. Any insights on this system???

Thanks for any inputs…

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Stan, I have the Logitech 4000 and will have the VX6000 today. I plan on doing a comparison of the two this weekend just to see it there is any difference. My son-in-law just purchased another cam (another 1.3 megapixel I believe) but don’t know which one so maybe I’ll try that one also. I’ll try to post a couple of shots to compare.

–Dave

My Quickcam Pro 4000 is still going strong (outside without any protection against the elements), but I would like to have a webcam/camera that has a better resolution and wont white-out when the sun is in view.
So, I’m looking forward to that comparison Dave :slight_smile:

Just noticed this probally isn’t the correct board for this. Can someone move it please?

I had mine placed with a better view but I was afraid to leave it there due to the experience of others burning out the camera by direct sun. I’ll be moving it so it will be facing south but under the eve of the garage. Hopefully the eve will provide enough shade to block direct sun. I’m also hoping the wide angle lens of the VX6000 won’t show the eve when it’s placed high enough to get the shade. In that case I’ll stay with the Logitech, if not much difference in the picture quality, and have a very slightly used VX6000 for sale. :slight_smile:

Also mine is mounted in halogen light fixture copied from others on the forum. Brian and Ricky, I believe. This thread shows the original mount on the chimney.

–Dave

[b][url=http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/123150] Weather Photography Board Rules[/url][/b]

Subjects such as camera types suitable for weather photography, techniques for taking weather photos, weather webcams, shooting video footage of weather events are all allowed.

Put me down for a vote for the Logitech Pro 4000 :slight_smile:

-Bob

Dave,

Thanks, will be looking for your comparison report.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Well I didn’t get much done on web cams today. Rain, wind and temps canceled a yard sale my wife was doing and the ‘honey do list’ kicked in instead. I did get the camera off the roof and out of the light housing.

I did find out that my usb extender that is supposed to go 150’ won’t. I was using a 50’ CAT 5 cable and replaced it with one I made 100’ long. The light on the camera comes on but no video. Have to check the cable yet but believe it to be ok.

I’ve got three to compare. Logitech Pro 4000 (link is to the 5000 which is the replacement for the 4000), Phillips SPC900NC, and Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000 I did hook each one up just to see what they looked like. Looks like the Phillips had a little better image and performed better in low indoor light. They all work very well with WD. Had all three connected at the same time. It was just a matter of choosing which one in the camera set-ups.

Right now I have the Microsoft connected and pointed out an upstairs window. You can see the image here and I’ll attach a picture of the cameras below. Hopefully more time tomorrow.

–Dave

webcams.jpg

The Microsoft image seems to me to be comparable to the Logitech Pro 4000

-Bob

Yup, not much difference in the two. Just a little more field of view.

–Dave

Hmmm that may be enough for the Famous words… “Honey I found a better webcam that costs just the same as the Logitech… Can I please…please”

LOL

Dave,

Thanks for the update on those Web cams. Wonder if you will be able to test the VX6000 using the 5 Megapix. mode on WD and see what kind of response WD and WDL will be able to use…

Will look forward to see a live shot from your location but since you are on the Eastcoast area and I am in the middle of Pacific with a 6 hour difference it might be a mid afternoon shot when I get up in the morning.

Hope I’ll be able to make some kind of decision soon.

Thanks again.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Doesn’t WD alter the image in some way, resize, save as different quality level, or something?

Images in that mode would be not very useful for web publishing as they are way too large.

Just uploading them to your web host would be prohibitive due to the bandwidth you would use and the benefit would be very minor.

You would be much better off sticking with much much smaller modes and sizes.

I’m sure that is what will happen. WD has only so many choices and I believe the 800X600 is the biggest. So I’d think you’d have to use third party software to upload a better/bigger image.

I have tried the different resolution options with the VX-6000. You can definitely tell the difference between the 1.3 and the 5 megapixel. But like Kevin said the bandwidth would be a problem. If I get a chance later today I’ll put some different resolutions on my site so you can see. It’s been cloudy for the past couple of days and I haven’t found a good place to mount the camera now that I don’t think I’ll be able to use the 100’ extension.

Right now by just looking at the different cams in the sub-$100 range via WD… they’re about equal. But the difference is apparent when viewing them with the supplied software with the VX-6000 having the better pic with the 5 megapixel resolution. Pix later… I hope (football, baseball, NASCAR and wife) Thank goodness for TIVO.

–Dave

Hi,

Yes, I agree with the size of an image with the higher resolution will not be suitable for any web page, but was just wondering if the higher resolution could be had using WD to WDL’s Web Cam…

Dave, did see your WDL’s Web Cam image and it showed lots of trees and some sky at approx. 6:45 pm on Oct. 8. It is labeled North. What camera was being used at that time?

It seems I will be leaning towards the VX6000 at the moment. The Logitech 4000 pro is still available through Amazon at about the same price but the VX6000 seems to have a $10.00 mail in rebate to make some enticement toward this camera. I have a run of approx. 45 ft. to where my computer is and where I would like to mount the camera. I hope that only one repeater/active USB cable will do the job. If not, I will have to buy another repeather/active cable. I have a couple of 10’ of USB extender cables that I will be using also. Any suggestions as to how to configure these cables? Like 6’ from cam to 10’ extension to 15’ repeater/active to 10’ extension to computer??? That will make it 41’ of run…

Thanks all for inputs.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Stan, that was the Phillips camera. I’ve got it pointing out an upstairs window right now. Again it’s looking better than the VX6000 and 4000 right now. This link is to camera image on my page which will be the Phillips today. It’s set at 640X480 in WD.

Because my 100’ extension isn’t going to work, as a test, I plan on putting a camera tripod on one fairly flat roof (4 pitch vs. 12 for the rest of the house) and try each camera for an hour or so with a better view of the sky. It didn’t happen yesterday and may not today ( gotta work to pay for the hobbies) but this week I hope.

As far as cables, I’ve not used any of the USB active cables but others have and they appear to work. I think most people have only used them for around 20-30’. I use an USB extender that was supposed to go up to 150’ but doesn’t look like it will. It does very good w/ the 50 footer.

–Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Looked at your WDL web page this morning and your Web Cam was showing the time of approx 1:24 PM. Guess you were still at making $$$$ for hobby expenditures, etc??? The Phillips cam seems nice and the Amazon price was a little higher than the others. I also see that Creative has a cam out that seems to be in the same ball park as those discussed here.

What kind of USB cable extender are you using? Is it like, using a CAT5 cable between two adapters??

Thanks again for your input.

Stan,

I am using the Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000 (just got it this weekend, in fact).

You can view my live webcam page here.

–Tim

Looks like I’m working 12 hour days this week (5a to 5p). I had the Phillips on all day. Just switched it out for the VX-6000 and let it run to morrow until I get home and swap in the 4000. I’ve copied the webcam files from 0900 to 1300 from today and will do the same for the other two cameras. The Phillips is looking like the better picture so far. This link is direct to my web site and is a little better than through WDL.

I have the CAT 5 with two adapters.

Your cam page is looking good Tim. Gotta get your Mom to let you take that screen out of the window. :wink:

–Dave

Tim & Dave,

Thanks for the replies. Good Fall colors over there Tim. Good pic’s from both of you and looks like we’ll try for the VX6000 and see what happens with the Active/Repeater cables that I have here. Dave, what and where can I find info on those CAT 5 adapters to USB? Maybe that should be the route that I should be going instead of the cables that I have.

Thanks again and hope I will come up with something way better with what I have presently.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii