Virus Warning

There is a worm out there that presents itself as a patch and is dangerous. I have received at least one attempt at my system per day. Fornuately my email screen has caught it .

It is as follows:
this is the latest version of security update, the
<current month and year, for example, Feburuary 2003>, Cumulative Patch update which eliminates all
known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,

W32.Gibe.B@mm is a variant of W32.Gibe@mm. This mass-mailing worm uses Microsoft Outlook and its own SMTP engine to send itself to all the contacts in the Microsoft Outlook Address Book and the Windows Address Book. The email is disguised as a Microsoft Security Update and it arrives with an attachment that has a .exe or .zip file extension.
Keep you protection up and current.
W32.Gibe.B@mm copies itself as WebLoader.exe to the startup folder of all the mapped remote drives. This worm also attempts to spread through the KaZaA file-sharing network and Internet Relay Chat (IRC). W32.Gibe.B@mm may send itself to some news groups whose URLs are carried by the worm.

I use Norton antivirus and they have information on removal of this . I wanted all out there to be aware of this threat.

What is unusual is that it offers the patch through a mass mailing, Those of us who have been doing this a while know that MS uses their onboard updater.

I looked through my antivirus scan and I have had 5 in the past few days. The email address that accompanies the mail is totally bogus.

I saw it several days ago and immediately deleted it. I am on MSN hotmail and they are supposed to scan those things. If it is a virus, they missed it. It never got onto my machine.
Jim

all my incoming and out going email is scanned with Norton . I have noticed an increase in the frequency of getting these. I have also checked the return mail as far as the network and it is a bogus network.