Extra Sensor Page, Extra Sensor Graphs VP2

I’m having trouble getting a reading from the extra sensors. I have the Davis VP2 with the Wireless Leaf/Soil Moisture & Temp station. I’ve had the leaf wetness and soil moisture and temp working for some time, but I recently added two additional temp sensors. The show up on the Davis screen and seem to be working, but WeatherDisplay doesn’t seem to be capturing the data.

I get -148.0 F for each of them on the Extra Sensor Page. When I look at the Extra Sensor Real Time Graph, it shows 7716.3 F for both of them! When I look at the Auto Scale Graphs the extra sensors show -160F

On the Weather Station Setup screen, I have the box checked that says: “I have extra temperature sensors” next to the Davis VP2 settings.

I am running 10.35.z Did I overlook something?

thanks,

Are the two temp sensors you added connected to the Leaf/soil Moisture Station, or are these stand alone wireless sensors?

Yes, they are connected to teh Leaf/soil Moisture Station. They occupy position Temp#2 and Temp#3. (The Soil temp is in position #1.)

They seem to be working fine on the VP2 Console, but WD does not seem to recognize them. Maybe it’s a bug?
I also updated to 10.36a, but no joy. :frowning:

I also updated to 10.36a, but no joy.
upgrading isnt going to get something not working, working,unless i have specificly worked on or fixed the issue

if you go to view, davis VP extra sensor info
is the values showing there?

When I look at the Extra Sensor Real Time Graph, it shows 7716.3 F for both of them!
thats simply a range overscale, the actual underlying value will not be that

you can click on setup, and then set to customise the extra sensor real time graph, i.e select what to plot, etc
and you should be able to select the extra sensors you to plot?

Thanks Brian, Yes. :smiley: I forgot to check that page. This indicated the “name” of the sensor was “Soil Temp #2” etc., rather than “Extra Temp Sensor”. So I must have been confused over the other extra temp sensor Davis offers. I’m using the Leaf-Wetness unit for these, so I guess it makes sense that they are called soil temps.

you can click on setup, and then set to customise the extra sensor real time graph, i.e select what to plot, etc and you should be able to select the extra sensors you to plot?
Yes, once I realized I had to set the type to "soil temp #2" it started working. :oops:

But, I still can’t figure out how to activate the Autoscale Graphs for these extra soil temps. I can’t seem to find where to set them for the soil temps #2-4. Am I still missing something?
Thanks,
-David

you can use the new customise the auto scale graph 5, and there you should be able to select those extra sensors
try that

It seems to have soil moisture #1 and #2 and Leaf Wetness #1 and #2, but only the one Soil Temp tick-box.

Another question related to this: I’m using these extra sensors to give an early frost-warning in my garden, (which I needed last night) and it would be great if the taglist included 24 hour minimums and montly minimums for %soiltemp2% (3&4). Any chance you could add those?

i will add ability to plot those extra soil temps to the autoscale graps…at least…
othwerwise you could get wd to create a csv custom file, with those custom tags for those sensors in it (cant remember if i have those?)
and then you could use excel and macros?

Thanks Brian.

i have added those now
use this update:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD.zip

Thanks!
I loaded the update and it seems to working fine. I was able to customize the Autoscale Graph #5 to show the extra soil temps and it shows up just fine on from the View:Autoscale Graphs page inside WD and it loads to my webpage as autoscaleextra5.jpg.

However, the scale for the graphs is in degrees C, rather than F and it means I have to give-up my graph of the Leafwetness/Soil Moisture since those are not available on the other graphs. This is fine for my analysis purposes. But, what I’d really love to see would be:
%hiVPsoilmoisture2%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily high. # 2 sensor
%loVPsoilmoisture2%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily low, # 2 sensor
%hiVPsoilmoisture3%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily high, # 3 sensor
%loVPsoilmoisture3%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily low, # 3 sensor
%hiVPsoilmoisture4%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily high, # 4 sensor
%loVPsoilmoisture4%…Davis VP soil moisture, daily low, # 4 sensor

Thanks,
David

this update plots in oF now
and i have added those extra custom tags

and i will work on have a setup #2 for the custom graph 5

Wonderful. You’re great, it works and it looks like you did it just like I asked. Thanks!

Now I feel bad, since I did a cut & paste error.
I was describing what I wanted to do with extra soil temp sensors, but I pasted the extra soil moisture sensor tags. :oops: I guess I’ll have to look at getting some extra moisture sensors too.

This is what I should have written:
%hiVPsoiltemp2%…Davis VP soil temp, daily high. # 2 sensor
%loVPsoiltemp2%…Davis VP soil temp, daily low, # 2 sensor
%hiVPsoiltemp3%…Davis VP soil temp, daily high, # 3 sensor
%loVPsoiltemp3%…Davis VP soil temp, daily low, # 3 sensor
%hiVPsoiltemp4%…Davis VP soil temp, daily high, # 4 sensor
%loVPsoiltemp4%…Davis VP soil temp, daily low, # 4 sensor

I won’t blame you if you have other priorities by now and have just run out of patience with me.

ok, this update i have added those hi/lo extra soil temperatures to work with those custom tags, which i have added as well

Brian,
I had a chance to test today. The new tags seem to be working fine. Then I went to set my autoscaleextra graph back to Leaf-wetness + Soil Moisture, but the Y-parameter seems to have a mind of its own and won’t stay on the setting I choose, it always goes back to humidity.

Also while it seems to be working, I noticed in the taglist.txt file there may be some typographical error. It says:

%VPsoiltemp%…Davis VP soil temperature #2
%VPsoiltemp2%…Davis VP soil temperature #3
%VPsoiltemp3%…Davis VP soil temperature #4

But I think it should say this:
%VPsoiltemp2%…Davis VP soil temperature #2
%VPsoiltemp3%…Davis VP soil temperature #3
%VPsoiltemp4%…Davis VP soil temperature #4

Thanks,
David