Bad Sky Cover Message Box

Tom,

This issue popped up last night and this morning using the last two versions of WxSim. I think something unusual in the MOS data today causes it. Following the search of MOS and selecting use this data, I get the message “Bad Sky Cover Data; Assuming Clear” and then must hit the “OK” button. The problem is that in automatic mode, this halts the program until that button is clicked. Thanks. - Jim

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure what this is, but I think you’re right that it’s something unusual in the MOS data - I just need to know what. Also, perhaps I could bypass the message in auto mode to avoid the stopping of the program.

Could you send me the data file you were importing?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

I sent the files via EMail. It’s happened enough here recently that I’d recommend bypassing the message in auto mode unless it turns out to be a good indicator that something is seriously wrong somewhere? Thanks. - Jim

This was an email I jut sent to Jim, but it would be of interest to most North America users, I I’m posting it here:

Well, this is interesting! It turns out that the problem is actually in the gfsmos.lst file itself, meaning in all probability “the NWS did it”! The item I zeroed in on was Kokomo (KOKK), which was truly missing. Funny thing is, I happened to have a gfsmos.lst file I had downloaded on August 9, and KOKK wasn’t in there at all! It seems that the NWS has added a few sites, but without full data present. I also noticed an ETA MOS site missing the max and min termperatures, and even a couple with only precip chances.

The question is whether this is an NWS problem that they will resolve shortly, or if it’s a new, permanent feature - in which case I’ll need to produce a work-around.

When did you first see this crop up?

Tom

Tom, I saw it three days ago for the first time.

–Dave

Let me amend that. Today makes the third day.

I just sent Tom and EMail (in case he’s logged off this board) that it began the night before last and has been happening consistently ever since. - Jim

Edit: To be precise, Aug 17th with the 11pm forecast.

Just to complete this thread, version 11.2.2 fixes the problem. Thanks Tom! :slight_smile: