How is this possible?

How can the warmest night be warmer than the warmest day? Also the coldest seems to be reversed?

The warmest night temperature was only 2 minutes after the warmest day temp, so that seems quite feasible to me. Maybe the fact that a WD day ends and night starts at 1800 is making it look a bit odd?

Also the coldest day followed around 40 minutes after the coldest night, so that looks just like the temperature continued its overnight downward trend.

Chris ,
I thought the warmest day was an average for the range of 6AM to 6PM thus WARMEST DAY. The time is irrelevant as far as I’m concerned and should be removed. If this is not the case then what is the difference between Warmest Day and Record High for the month?

The warmest day might not be the record high…that might be in the warmest night. Even if the record high is in the warmest day, then the warmest night is likely to be on a different date.

I’d always assumed that the warmest day/night referred to the day/night when the warmest temperature occurred rather than an average, but I guess we’ll have to wait for Brian to give a definitive answer.

Chris you stated

... I'd always assumed that the warmest day/night referred to the day/night when the warmest temperature occurred ...

How is this different than the record high/low for the month?

Chris you stated
... I'd always assumed that the warmest day/night referred to the day/night when the warmest temperature occurred ...

Is this on alltimerecords.gif?

On mine (V9.2.7, oldie but goodie) the warmest/coldest day/night can be in any month since it was started (mine are in October, November, and February), and the other two are specfically the current month;

Warmest Mrch (sic) Temperature
Coldest March Temperature

Maybe something changed in later versions

Steve

:oops: Oops! I looked at your site and now I see the problem. The March highest and lowest on altimerecords are higher and lower than the warmest/coldest day/night on the month records gif.

Can you comment on this?

Chris you stated

You’re asking a different question now :wink:

My all time records also show a higher temperature this month than either the warmest day or night this month. Your screen shot only included the warmest/coldest day/night values so it wasn’t obvious what you meant.

It looks like a bug to me.

I have not changed the question. The screen shot from the first thread is from current month record values. And I still say there is no way the coldest day can be colder than the coldest night in the USA.

chris’s first post explains it
and the fact the wd checks the average (which starts at the stated time) each minute…
so the answer would be to not check for this extreme until either the 6am or 6pm time, and calculate/check the average for the 6 hour period then

or leave it like it is

I have not changed the question. The screen shot from the first thread is from current month record values. And I still say there is no way the coldest day can be colder than the coldest night in the USA.

I don’t know your local weather patterns, but with just the data given in your screenshot I found it fairly easy to imagine circumstances which would lead to those conditions.

For example, given just the coldest day/night figures I could assume that the 3rd March was a cold day. Overnight the temperature dropped so that by 05:59 (the last minute of what WD calls the night) the temperature had reached 33degF. Over the next 42 minutes (probably before sunrise) the temperature dropped a further 5degF and then started to rise. For the rest of the month the temperature didn’t go lower than 33degF between 6pm and 6am and didn’t go below 28degF between 6am and 6pm. I know that there are some days here where it can be colder during the day than it has been overnight, so the data in your screenshot wouldn’t immediately strike me as odd.

However, what I do find odd and a massive co-incidence is that my coldest night was also at 05:59 on 3rd March and my coldest day was 06:21 on 3rd March!

If you had included the warmest and coldest March temperatures in your screenshot I would have been quicker to agree that something looks very odd. My coldest day/night is 2degC, yet my coldest March temperature is shown as 1.9degC. My warmest day/night is 12.2degC, yet my warmest March temperature is shown as 13.7degC.

chris's first post explains it and the fact the wd checks the average (which starts at the stated time) each minute...

I think part of the confusion is that it’s not obvious that the warmest/coldest days are 6 hour averages. I wasn’t sure myself, but when I saw that the coldest day was only just after the start of the day, e.g. 06:41 when the day only started at 06:00 I began to think they must be instantaneous values.

Incidentally, why is it a 6 hour average? Wouldn’t a better definition of coldest day be the day which had the lowest average over the 12 hours from 6am to 6pm?

Well, I’m still confused. Are the warmest coldest ALL 6 hour averages on both alltimerecords and the monthly records? And if so, what does the time indicate? Or does one show a spot temp, and the other an average?

Steve

12 hour yes
i think the solution is not to calcualte and then check the value until after the 12 hour period has finished
what say you
i have noticed this affect meyself
note, that the coldest or warmest temperature for the given month is a instaneous actual reading

i actualy had someone i had to give a refund to becuase they didnt understand how wd calculates this, and couldnt be bothered even listening to my explanation.

i actualy had someone i had to give a refund to becuase they didnt understand how wd calculates this, and couldnt be bothered even listening to my explanation.

I’m amazed that anyone thought it was so significant :cry:

I long ago came to realise that no software is perfect…it was probably around 1977 when I wrote my first binary machine code program on an Intel 4004 :oops:

As long as code isn’t mission critical at work I’m happy to accept that it’s got a few oddities. What is excellent about WD, is that the author is still around and in constant communication with his users. The fact that he’s also driven by a passion to make the code work and add new features faster than most people can keep up with is an added bonus :smiley:

Looking at the current months record values is anyones Warmest day warmer than their warmest night? If not then this is broken. Generally speaking the warmest part of any day is from around 3 -5 Pm and it rarely warmer from the hours of 6PM to 6 AM (night) than 6 AM -6PM (day). Come on guys do you really have warmer nights than days?

Greg,
I was hesitant to get in on this, but I will anyway! Here in the Pac N.W., for many days during the winter, we get cold air coming down from Canada. That usually makes for freezing temps and we can be lucky to see above 32f for our daytime high (6am-6pm). Then all of a sudden, a warm front off the Pacific comes in, and raises the temperature, most times slowly but sometimes very fast. This can actually make our high for the full day (midnight to midnight) happen as late as 10PM or 11PM. That also sets the warm night temperature (6PM-6AM) for that day. I’m not saying the same has happened to you, but I know that when I lived in Texas, we had similar events, except the warm air came rolling in from the gulf. My All Time records shows: Warmest Day (6AM-6PM): 102.9f at: 16:59 on: aug 06 2002 and Warmest Night (6PM-6PM) 84.6f at: 18:00 on: aug 06 2002 (I live at 2,295ft so we cool down fast when the sun drops over the mountains). As for this months record, I have: Warmest Day (6AM-6PM) 55.8F at: 17:07 on: Mar 13 2003 and Warmest Night (6PM-6AM): 53.4*F at: 18:01 on: Mar 13 2003.

Kevin, I also concur. You and I are at nearly the same elevation. At first I was confused by these readings also…but as I studied it I realized that here in the winter…or summer for that matter our coldest temp is almost always before dawn which in the winter is around 8:00am and in the summer shortly after 6:00am both low temps would of course register in the “day” period. As for evening(just from 40yrs of memory…or so) Ive only had a station since November, a large percentage of the time, our record heat temps occur shortly after 18:00 hrs. In order to show what we perceive as “warmest day” etc the program would have to be set at least in my area …on a 8:00 to 20:00 schedule…not worth the trouble in my opinion. I admit it is a little confusing…but best that I can measure, accurate…at least in my neck of the woods(or desert actually)
Jon