WDL for Dummies

OK I’ve tried everything and cannot get Weather Display Live to work. I’m really confused with the readme doc and how to name the index.html file. My site www.branfordfire.com/weather continues to show the regular wd file. How do I get the “live” flash portion to work. I’m not even sure if I properly uploaded the wdlconfig files etc. because I’m not sure how to do that. Is there help for us dummies! Please remember I am computer challenged!

Hello,

If you upload the WDL index file to the same directory that your current weather page is at and it is named index.html it would possibly conflict with what you already have.

The easiest way is to create a new directory under your current weather directory, such as /WDL. Then upload your WDL index file, wdlconfiguration file and the .swf file to that directory. To upload the files you would need to use a FTP client, it is like uploading any other file to a web site.

Then set your Realtime Clientraw settings to upload the clientraw file to the same directory.

This FAQ may help with setting up your clientraw settings:
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10872

-Bob

Sorry, still lost! I created a new file called webfilesnew and put the new index file etc in it to send to the ftp. It did nothing.

Hi again,

You need to create a new directory on your web server, just as you would create a directory on your local computer however it has to be on the web server itself, then upload the WDL files to that directory.

If you login to your FTP connection to the website your FTP client should allow you to create a directory, depending on what FTP client you are using the method will be different and you would want to check the documentation for the FTP client on how to create a directory with it.

-Bob

Still nothing! I’ve made new directories on my server and then it says access denied! I can get the WDL to work on the local machine with the instructions but no matter what I do I can’t get it to the web site.

If I do something like shut off WD FTP upload then wipe out the current files on the web and start all over will that work?

As you can see I’m very new at all of this and really appreciate your help and advice.

The normal WD FTP uploads will not upload the files you need, which would be a one time upload situation. Which WD can do but it is in another screen and if the directories you have created refuse access then you may have their permissions set incorrectly…

What FTP client are you using?

-Bob

can you post here what is shown for the ftp in the clientrawrealtime ftp uploads?

I actually only used WD to do the uploads. I now have “Core FTP LE” and can access the web site. In the “/” are all of the web files that make my current page. When I tried to create a new directory it allowed me to however then I got an error trying to acces that site.

On another note should my index config for my website have “www.branfordfire.com” or www.branfordfire.com/weather which is the page that my weather currently displays. I have not included the clientraw files yet as I can’t get the page to even display yet although locally I can.

Firewall,

I just downloaded and installed Core FTP LE…

Access your account and locate the directories you created. Highlight it and then right click and select properties, it probably should be set to 755…

Also make sure the new directory is inside your /weather directory, most likely where you have permissions to work…

Let us know,
Bob

When I open the new “weather Live” directory it shows all the files wdlconfig.xml, index.html etc. I don’t see a 755

Trying to send you a screen shot…see attached… I hope

what is that javascript file doing there?

where do you have the clientraw file being uploaded too?

http://www.branfordfire.com/weather/LiveWeather/index.html exists…

Ok get rid of wdlv4_13.exe and upload wdlv4_13.swf…

We are making progress IMHO :slight_smile:

-Bob

Beats me why the js script is there? I thought I read to put it in he file (of course this was very late last night) Should I take it out?

Ok get rid of wdlv4_13.exe and upload wdlv4_13.swf…

OK did that!

Brian, Julian has that so you can prevent the “click here to activate control” message.
I use that same js on my site.
His WDL loads fine now for me, all he needs is the raw files uploaded.

ah,ok…i did not know that, LOL
i dont have that problem myself with my wdl…humm

You’ll only see it in IE that’s pretty much current with MS patches. I do see it on your WDL.

Still nothing. It seems to be taking the clientraw files with no errors.

looney2ns where do you see my wdl all I see is the regular page?