Wondering

I am considering buying this software and the extra software that uses my weather station’s info. My question is can I also use it to do a forecast for another state. I forecast for Pitt,Pa. via the internet.The site is http://nemas.net/fo/pit/

Thanks for your interest in WXSIM!

To answer your question, customizations are really quite site-specific. I try to tailor the various parameters in the files to the exact station. Of course, such a forecast is usually reasonably good over a wider area, perhaps 10 to 50 miles wide, depending on time of year and synoptic situation.

To forecast for multiple sites, you need multiple customizations, and separate forecast runs. The large majority of users want only one site anyway (their home, usually), but I recently started to think about the situation you describe, as I do have a few users trying to do multiple site forecasts.

Right now it can be done (you just order multiple sites, and do multiple runs), but it would be great to have it able to automatically and/or sequentially make runs for several, or even dozens of sites. I haven’t implemented such an ability in the program, but I’m starting to think I could do it, albeit with lots of work. I may be able to do such a think in the next several months, but haven’t embarked on it yet. Suggestions are welcome!

I’ve decided that this feature would be a natural departure point between a regular version and a “professional” version. Most individuals would never need it, but larger organizations might find it far more efficient than making the separate forecast runs. If I create such a version, it would carry a significantly higher price (both the software itself and due to the larger number of customizations).

Bottom line: it would be fairly easy to deal with two or three sites with the existing software; just order multiple customizations. Beyond that, it gets time consuming, and that’s what such a possible future version would be for.

Hope that helps,

Tom