Icon on Main Screen gone!

Brian

The weather icon on the main screen is gone! Just a black space there.
But the icon is still on the summary gif. When I shut down and reboot WD (ver9.62e) it shows (in error) the partly cloudy icon (it’s clear says the metar)… not good… not good at all.

This… plus icons not matching metars still… and the “rain has stoppped” bug…etc.

What in the world is happening to WeatherDisplay ?? :roll:

Keith

Hi Keith,

Have you tried the latest version, 9.63 of WD? (Fri 07 Mar 2003 17:26 -5 GMT)

(ver 9.63)…Seems to be doing the same here (blank main screen icon). But only if I have "Your Station’s Rain/Wind/Fog overides the metar ticked “on”. The icon for the metar appears to be working OK. I set the “stopped raining” for 720 min. and that solved that problem for now.

CaptDilli

Are all these problems fixed in ver9.63?
I’m starting to get gun-shy trying new versions… the fixes lately seem to be multiplying the problems.

Keith

CaptDilli

Are all these problems fixed in ver9.63?
I’m starting to get gun-shy trying new versions… the fixes lately seem to be multiplying the problems.

Keith

No, go back to a version that worked for you.

keith, you need to work with me
i cant debug from the other side of the world (where it is summer time and we dont have any rain at the moment)

i had to replace the hot water cylinder in the cowshed today

now, email me your wdisplayftp.ini file, from the registry, and the metar that you download, and your latest.inf file from the folder datafiles

once i have your setup, and metar, and data, i can fix anything.

Just to update on the “no icon showing on mainscreen”…It finally stopped raining long enough to get a report from my metar station that said just plain overcast(with no rain). My station was also reporting no rain. I went ahead and ticked “on” My stations rain/wind/fog overides the metar. The overcast icon appeared on the summary, and also stayed on the main screen. At the same time, I had enough wind so that the wind icon came on. When the wind quit, the overcast icon re-appeared, exactly how it’s supposed to! So…It looks like the problem (on mine anyway) only happens when my station and the metar station are reporting “rain” at the same time. The rain icon should be displaying, But wont. I hope this helps you (Brian) narrow it down so-to- speak! :wink:

THX!

next time it doesnt gel, email me the metar file,your latest.inf file from the folder datafiles, and your wdisplayftp.ini settings from the registry

“Gel”!..That’s what the ground here is like from all the rain!..I’ll be glad to send those to you. (next time it rains)

THX!

I too have a similar problem with the main screen icon. I have unticked all references to the image generation, i.e.; Downloaded Metar, your stations wind/rain,fog icon, as well as the "use the WM918 forecasts to update. I have a blank image on the main screen. No icon until I tick, use metar image or one of the other choices.
I’ll send my WD files via email Brian.

Thanks

Randy
KK6RW

hi randy
i have your settings
i have to wait until tomorrow to get non night time icon…
(but i just tried ticking for day time always, under view, sun moon, and that gave me a day time icon ok)
also, email me your wdisplay.ini file, from c:\windows or c:\winnt

Hi Brian,

Looking at your web page 10:30 PM 10-Mar-03. You show a starry night gif , current weather Haze, Mostly cloudy at Auckland Airport, Current Weather=Moderate drizzle at 22:40, and the third gif on your page is missing.
Looks like you may have some image issues also.

Cheers,
Bryce :?

I’m not sure if a restart of WD solved the problem but my icon is showing and properly following the conditions.
Have a great day everyone!

Randy

I have had the “no icon” problem for some time. Sometimes its there and other times it disappears for no apparent reason. I have now updated to 9.64 which seems to have cured the icon disappearance but it is now showing a night with stars background during the day(lat and log set). The uploaded icon on the summary.gif always remains the same for some reason regardless of conditions.

Has anyone tried a complete wipe of there operating system and a fresh re install of the latest software? Can this be done without requiring a new registration key? Not bothered about historic data as desperation has set in.

Web cam image is not now uploading to website under 9.64 on my system.

Edd

Has anyone tried a complete wipe of there operating system and a fresh re install of the latest software? Can this be done without requiring a new registration key? Not bothered about historic data as desperation has set in. Edd

I’m convinced that my hang problems are due to Windows XP and using non-standard com ports. I wish now I had Windows 2000. This morning I opted to thumb my nose at XP and instead booted my system’s Windows ME partition to run WD. I copied the WDisplay5 folder to a data partition, booted Win ME and reinstalled WD since the Windows ME registry wouldn’t import the exported Windows XP registry entry wdisplayftp5.ini but I got a ‘Sorry your trial expired’ type message (This scares me a little bit as it means that if Brian disappears I’ll never ever be able to upgrade my PC and run this great software - I hope he’s younger than me and very healthy!) In the meantime I’m planning to order me a new Dell and buy a copy of Windows 2000!

I noramlyu have a web cam image as my icon (daylight ours), and so i dont use the metar to update the icon (but i do show the metar cloud report etc)
hi edd
export and email me your wdisplayftp.ini settings from the registry
see
http://www.weather-display.com/exportregistry.html
and
wdisplay.ini from c:\windows or c:\winnt

they are the only 2 places wd keeps its settings (or if you have 2wd.txt in use it will be wdisplayftp2.ini in the registry and wdisplay.ini)

Ted, email me direct, there is a key file…

re web cam:
try reselcting the file, under view, web cam image
also, if you are using the custom internet file creation/upload, i have split out more files from the misc files, but the the daily web cam upload is now in the new misc.once a day upload setup

Im running xp. I forgot to mention in my last post that when I reboot the system it tries to run two copies of wd. This is after uninstalling, rebooting and then re installing. This is why Im led to believe that I need to wipe my system and re install. I have a gut feeling that wd is not uninstalling correctly hence all my problems. I would have wiped the system before if it wasnt for the “key” issue.

http://www.weather-display.com/download/startupman.zip

download and run that program, to find and delete the other entry
yes, 2 verisons running together both using the same settings will cause problems alright
(this happens with the start as service option)

Thanks Brian

Running the program seems to have cured most of my problems. I will know more after a bit more testing.

The only issue left appears to be that the icon on the main screen and on the forcast remains the starry night regardless. Lat and Long are set up as is the system time and time zone under windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edd