Webcam or no webcam?

Hi guys…

I have been thinking about possibly adding a webcam to my station setup, but have a few concerns…

1. If the webcam is connected to the computer using a USB cable, I’m assuming that I could get an extension, since my computer isn’t close to where I would like to place it.

2. I have seen the Logitech Pro 5000 and was wondering if that camera is able to go outside (I am assuming no)?

3. If I do buy a webcam, do I have to buy a new software for it, or can I somehow incorporate it into WD?

4. Would connecting and running a webcam to my computer use up a lot of memory usage?

Thanks.

–Tim

1. Yep, you can get extensions. Active USB up to about 30 feet. Or one like I have up to 150 feet.

2. Pro 5000 is not weather proof. You’d need some sort of housing.

3. Pro 5000 comes with software. WD can run the camera.

4. Everything uses memory. If you have it use it.

5. Search is your friend. We’ve discussed web cams many times here and those will answer all your questions in detail.

–Dave

Add the webcam Tim - I think it really is a great addition to any of our weather sites.
I get comments all the time about my alldayvideo - really gets people coming back!

I’m thinking of adding a second one myself.

Thanks to both of you for the replies…

I did search through the forums and saw one of the posts made by Tom (carterlake) regarding his windows getting fogged up in winter (when temps are below 32 degrees). I was wondering if there is anything easier to do without rigging up a fan, as I don’t know if I want to go through all of that.

Also, the main problem of deciding whether or not to get one, is where I would point the camera. I have two windows near the computer (within 25-50 feet), but not too many options, since I live in a townhome. I would obviously like to put the webcam facing an area that has enough trees and where you could see the ground to gauge how deep the snow is in the winter…but I would also like to put it in an area where people will be walking by (the window that I have in mind seems like a very good place, since I don’t use it much anyways and it basically meets those standards that I just mentioned).

–Tim

Another problem that I just thought of would be with the HOA. #-o 8O

I’m sure that wouldn’t go down well with them. :wink:

–Tim

There are de-fogging products sold for motorcycle/ski goggles like “cat crap” (really :slight_smile: ) that could be an alternate solution to the condensation problem.

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Can you get a view of the sky Tim?

I have a beautiful river behind my house, and originally had my camera showing that.
But, if any of us were behind the house toward the river, we would show in the cam also. So for more of a privacy thing, I raised the camera to show the mountain behind the house, and the sky. It really is need to watch the clouds pass by, and the storms come in watching the video.
So, because of your HOA, I don’t see what would be wrong with a sky shot.

Stan,

I was thinking that way also (to make sure you could view the sky and some trees, as you said), but if I do put the camera in the window on the lower level (which is where my computer is), the trees will take up a little too much room, although I could get a decent amount of sky in the picture. Also, the only window that I could put the webcam in would be facing ENE/NE, which wouldn’t be a good view, considering storms approach from the S or W.

So, because of your HOA, I don't see what would be wrong with a sky shot.

Yes, I guess so…although I would definitely have to talk with the HOA before doing it. #-o

–Tim

Your HO won’t let you take pictures of the sky?

Clause 18752.47(f)

The sky is a shared amenity and therefore imagery of it must not be captured on any digital recording device by HOA residents. Daily fines will be levied until such time as the images are replaced in their correct location.

:rofl:

No idea…It’s just an assumption. I will try to talk to them about it in the next few days.

Nice one, Chris! :lol: :rofl:

I should get a copy of that for them. :wink: #-o

–Tim

I think Chris is right, the sky does meet the “outside the sheetrock” definition.

I guess living in the boonies, I never think about these kind of troubles Tim -
I remember your plight when setting your station up.

Where I live, if someone sticks their nose into someone’s business on their property, they are usually greeting with a firearm of some kind!

Same here and I live in a residental area. Or they get greeted by Bobby . Anyways Time if it inside your window they can’t say Hoot.
Coyote

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Coyote,

Is there a rule that goes against the HOA for allowing me to have one?

Just curious… :slight_smile:

–Tim

My webcam is inside. Never had a problem with fogging, and it gets cold here in the winter. On the other hand, I don’t heat this place as much as the “normal” USA family does and the humidity inside is rather low in the winter. Someday I want a cam with a wide angle lens!

I would think that the HOA might reasonably include some rules to protect the privacy of residents. So if you point your webcam out of the window at the sky then I don’t think they would/could object too much. If you point it at other people’s houses so that you can see into any windows or see people in their gardens then I think they might object. Too be honest I think many people would object at the intrusion of a webcam into their home. I think people here would complain if I did it and that’s without a HOA in operation.