Recording Sunshine Hours in WD

MY WS2500 is recording sunshine hours, but for the life of me I can’t get WD to record them! It is recording Solar Temp and % and ET but no matter what I seem to do to the Solar Sensor Setup …no joy. (My values in the boxes in the Solar Description section of Solar Sensor setup screen are 80%, 65%, 50%, 30% and 10%, and I have checked boxes 2 through to 6 in the list of settings below the Solar Description section. I have also got my correct Lat/Long co-ordinates entered on that screen. Where am I going wrong, please? Tony

what is the solar % showing during bright sunshine in the solar setup?
also, which version of WD?
with the WS2500, you need to adjust the lux setting in the ws2010/ws2500 data setup and view, so that during bright sunshine, the resultant solar % gets to above 80% (adjustable) to be able to record sunshine hours

Hi Brian - I “upped” the bright sunshine to 80% some weeks ago in an attempt to get a recording of sunshine hours but no luck. My version of WD is 10.35k and as I type this reply, my WS2500 console is registering 104 klux, and my WD main screen is registering 39.4 solar % and 3.8mm ET. My console has registered 6.04 hrs of sunshine so far today.

On another matter, I got my WDL working (with help from NorCal Dan) yesterday, but notice that it has stopped uploading to my site since 0800 today - even though WD is uploading perfectly according to schedule. Wierd!
Thanks for your help once again (I always seem to be screaming for help on something or another…but am determined to get there eventually!). Tony

Panic over on the last point above! - I have tweaked the ftp settings in the WDL screen to match those of the internet connections setup (i.e. - to delete the main part of my domain from the web site of my WDL files and just enter the “home” directory of the WDL files …) Oh the pedantry of computing!!!

If you don’t know already, that 80% for sunshine means that WD will not record sunshine hours until your wm/2 value reachs 80%. If you look at your solar setup screen and it reports anything less than 80% then WD will not increment the counter for sunshine. I will attach an example to show what I mean:

Many thanks again Dan! It all makes sense at last…of course, Murphy’s Law reigns supreme, and ever since I read your suggestion and changed my threshold figures accordingly, we have had 10/10 cloud so I have been unable to tweak them! No doubt we shall see the sun again afore too long, though. Cheers, Tony

I get the % thing about cloudy or sunshine. What I don’t get is the current raw reading to maximum radiation for lat/date. I had these reading today around 1300 CDT 385 maximum to 443 raw. Seems to me that some thing was out of adjustment. So I whipped out my calculator and figured that I must be 13.1% out of adjustment. I adjusted the factor for VP WM/2 to 87%. Every thing looked good for awhile. Then latter in the afternoon I noticed that the sun outside was 100% but WD was reporting 53%. I removed my adjustment and put it back to 100% in the VP WM/2 box. Restarted WD but it still showed only 64% of current maximum. I assume that with the LAT set correctly and my time zone set to -6 that WD should be able to correctly estimate how much the maximum reading should be. If this is the case what am I doing wrong this time. #-o

Mark

Maybe check the sensor is not blocked out or dirty. Cleaning instructions are in the manual. Also, post a screen grab of your solar setup screen showing the lat/long settings.

Brand new :lol: Just put up Monday. 2100 here and getting very cold outside. I’ll post it in the AM

Thank you

Mark

The VP sensor is pretty accurate. Are you sure your latitude and longitude are set correctly? Does WD correctly calculate sunset and sunrise times?

only use -ve for the time zone if east of GMT (it does mention that in the setup screen)

It’s getting cold out there. Here is the screen shot of my solar setup. My Latitude & Longitude are correct. http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C6338 well I’m really 50 meters to the left on that map :roll: And I’m in the -6 GMT time zone or Central Daylight Time. http://www.burgus.org/wx2.html

Thank you for the help
Mark

Can we see your solar and lunar set up page too?

Thank you
Mark

That all looks OK, but I do see the problem. The sensor is mounted level - right?

OK, next, can you post the “thresholds/icon/solar description” tab?

Both bulls eyes right in the middle. It is on the old satellite mount. Recycling you know :slight_smile:

Thank You
Mark

Thanks for helping out
Mark

This is very strange :?

Does the watts/m2 displayed by WD match the value on the console?

Yes