Wd on MacOS

Will WD work on Mac OS? I’m considering changing over to a mac after countless problems with windows based stuff. I obviously want to ensure I can keep using WD to maintain my website.

Thanks

Dale

AFAIK the MAC version has never got off the ground, although there is a Linux version which I guess might be made to work on OSX. I dont know what Brian thinks about this, just my view…

Stuart

I think with more and more people migrating to Mac OS it might be worthwhile - otherwise it will be a case of keeping a PC for WD and using the MAc for everything else!

The latest dual pentium Macs have the ability, with appropriate software to run both XP and OSX

You must dual boot using the Mac Boot Camp beta or run a third party app that lets you run XP as a virutal machine like VMWare or Virtual PC does on XP/Linux etc… With boot camp, you can only boot to one OS at a time. The name of the VM software for the Intel based Macs escapes me at the moment. (some third party company)

I guess you could try the VM machine software and run XP in a virtual machine environment and continue to use the Mac OSX at the same time. 8O Or just get some old Intel machine and dedicate WD to it… problem solved… for the cost of the Mac hardware, you could have about 2 1/2 NICE XP machines built. :wink: But hey! I wouldn’t believe in anything if it wasn’t for my lucky astrology mood watch! What does your mood watch say? #-o

mg

I’ve really tried, but I’m sure that if I live to be a hundred I will still not understand the attraction of jumping through hoops to run evil Bill’s windows on “walks on water” Steve’s hardware :?

Whilst that is nice, the point of the post I believe was that they want to move away from windows altogether, and go completely MacOS.

Somewhere down the track, I’m sure Brian will see a need for a Mac version, and seriously consider it… he’d be crazy not to at that stage. Mac people tend to pay good money for software, so with good software like WD, they’ll pay good money for it. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, at this very point of time there is no Mac version.

Running ‘virtual windows’ on a Mac is IMHO a waste of time, slow even with the previous G5 machines.
The dual pentium is alleged to work well with windows based products, but I’ll stick to my Wintel machine for WD and use my Mac for other stuff.

Hopefully a Mac version will appear in the future - I’m not keen on running windowns on a MAc OS - the whole point is to get away from the troubles of windows and putting windows on a mac is asking for grief IMO! Would be quite happy to pay a charge again for a Mac version - I think WD is the dogs danglies so would be quite happy to stick with what I consider to be the best weather software out there!

I’m hoping the same myself, as WD will then become the ONLY choice for those with Mac’s, which means more sales for Brian, and then more income, and more features for the rest of us. :slight_smile: see, I do have ulterior motives. :wink:

I’m with you. I’ve been a Mac user since my first computer. I’ve run Weatherlink from Davis on my Mac but the features just aren’t there. Instead, I reverted to running WD on our family PC in our kitchen. Works fine, but I’d love to see a Mac version.

Perhaps Brian may look into doing a mac version - not being a programmer I have no idea how difficult it would be to do a Mac version. As I’ve said before I’d be quite happy to pay another subscription for a mac version! Perhaps Brian could advise whether he intends to undertake a Mac project or not.

Interesting OS statistics here

hmm 3% mac users. everytime i use a mac it completely eats what I am doing. So for me macs are and always will be doorstops.

i have the mac OS cd’s,for the 10 series OS, i just need a mac to do some compiling on…the one i had (i was given it) was too old to run the latest OS…

Get Brian a Mac that will run his compiler and I am sure he would give it a whirl. Only thing the windows verison takes most of his time. and then he has the linux verison. There are only a certain a number of hours in a day that Brian can work.
Coyote :slight_smile:

Indeed and I think everyone understands that! Was just asking if it was an intention or not - I know the current stats show 3% but I bet that changes in the next few years! Microsoft have gotten too greedy and too unreliable!

actauly XP or windows server 2003 runs really well, i dont think the unreliable statement runs true…on decent hardware…

Whilst there’s a few of us here that ensure they get good hardware in their new winblows box, the majority who base their decisions primarily on price don’t, and that’s where we get caught out.

Hopefully somewhere down the track you’ll might be lucky to be gifted with an appropriate Mac box, and be able to develop a native Mac version, and be able to charge a premium price for your Mac product, as the Mac users don’t mind paying premium prices for all their software, let alone premium products such as WD. I dare say that you could triple your price for the Mac version, and you’d get people paying it without question.

I know one Mac person who would get themselves a weather station if they knew a premium software package was there to run on their Mac. At the moment they are happy to just use a manual rain guage and thermometer hanging on the wall, as there’s nothing available for their Mac to tempt them to go the ‘whole hog’.

Food for thought. :wink:

I doubt they would have a hardware problem if they paid as much for their PC hardware as Apple gouges them for a Mac :wink: