Start VVP before WD

I’m sure I’ve seen something about this, but it doesn’t appear to be in this board or in the docs. How do I make sure that VVP starts before WD? Having just done my first reboot since installing VVP things fell apart very quickly #-o

Until I add the scheduling feature to VVP (which is planned for the next release), this describes the best way I have come up with to do what you want without needing human intervention:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/120772

If you choose that method you can use ping in the batch instead of finding/installing a sleep utility

ping -n 5 localhost > nul

The number needs to be 1 more that the desired seconds of delay.

wd does come with wdstartdelay.exe
where you set that to start when windows starts, and set the time delay before starting wd, in that program
will that help?

wdstartdelay would probably do it, although IIRC there’s no way of knowing what sequence Windows will use for running things in the StartUp folder. So if a lot of things get started up (not true in my case) then wdstartdelay might get run first with VVP being run last. The only way round that would be to set a long startup delay for WD.

However, I wasn’t 100% sure when I rebooted last night whether once WD was running and trying to read the VP archive from COM7 and I then started VVP, WD just continued with the download as normal as soon as VVP was loaded. I need another reboot to test that, but thought I’d ask about best practice here so that I could set that up before I need to do another reboot.

The best solution is adding the schedule feature to VirtualVP. When VVP starts, it updates its cache of archive data. That could take a couple seconds or a minute. Only VVP knows when that’s done and it’s ok to start running the weather programs. The batch file method or WD’s delay start are only temporary solutions until I get that feature into VVP.