One wire lightning detector & I-button

You’re in good company, because the virtual com port numbering confuses lots of people. It’s probably the number one configuration problem. I need to come up with a good way to explain it, or hide that complexity. The reason it works the way it works is because Windows allows only one program to connect to a numbered com port. N8VBvCOM creates pairs of virtual com ports, and connects the two ports with a virtual cable. VVP hooks up to one end of the cable (COM16 for instance) and the weather program hooks up to the other end (COM6 for instance). From VVP’s point of view, it only needs to know the number of the end it hooks up to. It doesn’t know or control what the number is that the weather program will use - that’s configured in the N8VBvCOM driver.

What I probably should do, is parse the N8VBvCOM configuration file and display in the VVP Com setup screen what the port number is that the weather program should hook to. This would avoid some confusion, but there is nothing stopping someone from changing the N8VBvCOM configuration file without telling the driver to use the new information (in which case VVP would be suggesting the wrong port).

Steve