Strange item

Strange happenings whenever I use ‘shutdown’ option in XP with Virtual VP. Virtual VP wants to download all data from the logger, not just the time since the computer was shutdown. But all of the data in the logger - (2-3 days worth), even when the computer was turned off only for a few minutes.

Is this normal for Virtual VP or is this caused by the NVB8vCOM driver not being Windows certified?

VirtualVP should only download the archive records that are new since it was last running. Make sure you have the Settings/Mirror Archive Data to Disk menu option checked. This tells VirtualVP that it can mirror the archive data to disk. That way, when VirtualVP runs the next time after shutting down, it will fill its internal archive cache first with the data on the disk mirror, and then get only the new records from the console. If this option is not checked, then VirtualVP has to reload all the archive data from the console each time it starts up.

The N8VBvCOM driver should not have anything to do with this issue.

If you already have that option checked, let me know and I will check into it further.

Steve

Its been checked since I started using VirtualVP. Just looked in the VirtualVP directory, should there be an ‘archiveCache.dat’ and a ‘archiveCache.dat.tmp’ file? The ‘archiveCache.dat.tmp’ is dated the 6/10/2006 and the ‘archiveCache.dat’ is dated 6/12/2006.

I’ve attached the log.txt file from the VirtualVP directory if that will help.

log.txt (25.1 KB)

I have a program I use to analyze the archiveCache files. If you zip them up (both of the archiveCache files) and send them to me at [email protected] I will take a look at them to see if I can find a clue in there. In the meantime, since it is reloading the whole archive each time you start it anyway, I would try just shutting down VirtualVP, and then deleting those two archive files (send them to me first!). This will force VirtualVP to make new files the next time it starts. This might fix the problem if somehow the existing files got into an odd state. When you restart VirtualVP after deleting those files, it will download the entire archive again, but after that, it may work as it’s supposed to.

If that doesn’t help, then there may be something about your console that is confusing VirtualVP’s archive code. Let me know if the above suggestion doesn’t work, and I’ll try the next step.

Steve

Sent the two files via email as an ZIP attachment, will try rebooting the system tonight when I get home from work and see how it works out…

Deleted the two files last night, computer shutdown and restart worked w/o any problems with VirtualVP.
Thanks… should have thought of that myself.

Glad to hear that worked. Hopefully there will be a clue in the files you sent as to how things got gummed up. There is a little bug that rarely occurs hiding somewhere that I need to find.

Steve