VirtualVP for Oreg.Sci 968 ?

I’m considering making something like VirtualVP for the WRM-968 (and similar stations). VirtualVP allows you to connect several weather programs to a single station, and also supports TCP/IP connections over a network. I’m curious if any of the 968 owners here would be interested in something like this. It would have some weather specific features you wouldn’t get in a regular serial splitter like GPSGate.

Steve

that station should be quite easy steve…as it sends the data out (at 10 to 15 second intervals) without any data requests needed

Definitely interested here Steve!

Terry
Goshen (IN) Wx Net

Brian,

When people asked in the past whether virtualVP worked with the 968 (it doesn’t), I would point them to a simple serial splitter because I saw that the 968 was a broadcast only protocol. But I’ve been thinking about it since then, and realized that some of the features in VirtualVP and especially some coming features would add value over what a generic serial splitter could do, and open some other weather specific possibilities.

Steve…any plans to make a version for the WMII users? I realize that the number of VP users is far greater but it would be nice if I didn’t have to release my com port every morning for 5 min to download to weatherlink :(.

I looked into it a little to get an idea of the work involved. Its serial protocol is different enough from the VP that it would take a fair bit of time and testing to get it to work. Also, there were several firmware versions that each slightly changed parts of the serial specs which further complicates it. I would like to do it, but to be realistic, between the limits on my available time, and the things I already have on my list to do for VirtualVP and VPLive, I wouldn’t even be able to get to it for months.

Steve

Sounds like it’s not worth the effort. I understand. Thanks for the quick response. --Bill