Full site template Carterlake walk through

Sorry I have to ask “Newbie” - but can someone please supply a walk through on how to install these template to work in WD.

I have read nearly all the posts and Im struggling with understanding how WD works.

Complete new install no wizards run except station setup.

1. There are 8 files wxlocal2.html to wxlocal9.html
  2. One file wxlocal.html
  3. On a clean install of WD under webfiles there is no htm or html files

a. follow help files, configure ftp OK copy files in 1. over thats ok
b. Click on “Custom Internet File Creation” button - theres no button but I presume Control Panel => Internet File Creation & Update
c. Then setup under Advanced Internet settings - as per help file
d. Then what the help files says “Your files are now being created and uploaded.”

They dont get updated!

Question

1. What should be file #1 be
  2. With file # 22 says wxlocal - that file is not in the webfiles folder and what should be

As you can see its trying to understand what WD does and what files it uses.

I can create these pages and edit them in Dreamweaver and load onto my site in 5 minutes but Im struggling with WD.

Also are you supposed to edit the 8 files wxlocal2.html to wxlocal9.html

Thank you

hi
you will need to copy those wxlocal.html files into your web files folder first

After some sleep I have managed to figure out what WD is doing and this needs explaing in a help file. WD is renaming your template files and creating new ones.

the template files WD have changed from wxlocal*.html to wx*.html

now have a index as wx.html

Question:

1. what does the Reset/recreate button do and why you use this and how often should you use it.
  2. how do you WD to create a index.html instead of wx.html ( I had to edit the templates from index.html to wx.html)

thanks

WD is using the wxlocal.html and wxlocal2-9.html files as templates. These files contain fixed code and some “custom tags”. The fixed code is just copied as-is to the wx.html and wx2-9.html files. The custom tags are instructions to substitute specific data items from WD into those locations. The Control Panel/Intenet File Creation and Uploads dialog allows you to specify filenames after upload, as well as specific times/frequencies for the creation and upload of your files. WD will always create a local file in webfiles called wx.html from the contents of wxlocal.html - but if you specify in the Intenet File Creation and Uploads dialog that file #22 remote filename is “index.html” then it will rename it to index.html as it uploads it.

hi
i just answered some of your Q’s too in your other post… :wink:

Thank you bwawsc, windy and Carterlake for these great templates,

The templates are now working. :smiley: http://www.gsmmobile.co.nz/weather/

1. the main issue was understanding the readme.doc and what WD does:
    The readme.doc says:
2) Setup files for regular uploading

Place all nine of your wxlocal[2-9].html files in your Weather Display web files folder
(Default is “c:\wdisplay\webfiles”)

This should say include wxlocal.html and wxlocal2.html through to wxlocal9.html files in your default webfiles folder. Thats all 9 templates.

The expalanation was:

As above in #22 wxlocal.html is named index.html

WD changes wxlocal[2-9] to wx[2-9]

Whats not clear is what WD does next:
What happens is that WD takes the wxlocal.html and makes it into wx.html and when WD uploads this file to web site it actually changes it to index.html (Thanks Tom C.) (dont ftp the wx.html by other ftp programes as it stays as wx.html - you must let WD do this)

The wxlocal.html template does need tweaking with the table layout, links need altering to open in a new window and general style changes to suit your web site which is just customising the look and feel. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: