"Click to activate"

Hi

http://www.amarasoftware.com/flash-problem.htm

gave me a nice solution (1 line of code in my index.html file, and a 3 line java script supplemental file) to circumvent Microsoft’s update issue.

Cheers,

There have been a few other suggestions made, but your message has prompted me to modify my files. This solution is short and simple and seems to work. The only time it will have problems is if the user doesn’t have JavaScript enabled. There should really be a non-script bypass, but I’ll live with this solution for now because most people don’t turn JavaScript off.

'scuse my ignorance but does this “Just below the last in your HTML page, insert the following Javascript:” really mean just below the last </object> ?

Good point. I’ve put it after the and that seems to work OK.

Thanks. This answers what I thought was a glitch with my computer. I was getting the message to ‘click to activate’ on WDL and MML. Also a border appeared around the acive window which disappeared when I clicked.
Didn’t relate it to earlier posts about IE and Flash.
Do I have to do anything on my website or is this corrected by alterations at WDL and MML end?

Cheers
John (computer illiterate)

Ton,
Thanks for highlighting this solution. I have been using the “official” Macromedia solution. Your one from amarasoftware is so much simpler and does not require rewriting the code within the tags. There is also no need to add tags for those people with javascript turned off.
I have tested one page so far and it works well for me and will therefore be converting my other MML and WDL pages to this method.

Chris

Chris,
As I read it, there is no need for a for people with javascript turned off as the is exposed “outside” of the javascript.
Chris

Erm, … I Googled for “Click to activate” and it was the first hit (or one of the first few). Boy, do I like Google.

Tried this Ton but doesn’t seem to work.
I inserted the line after </>object in the index file for both WDL and MML and saved.
Then made a file in notepad
theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName(“object”);
for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) {
theObjects[i].outerHTML = theObjects[i].outerHTML;
}

Saved as ieupdate.js and copied to my webhost WD file

Used Action > load internet now.
Still got the border and 'click to activate ’ message.
Should the ieupdate.js have been copied into Data and Data2 folders rather than the WD on my webhost?
Data = WDL Data2 = MML

Thanks
John

John,
You need to change the line to:

<script type="text/javascript" src="../ieupdate.js"></script>

This now references your ieupdate.js script in the root directory and should work correctly. the …/ means “in the next directory up the tree”.

Chris

Chris

Many thanks. It worked =D> :cheers:

Will creep off to pit and sleep without dreaming of coding or needing 10mg Diazepam!

John

That’s obviously the sign of a sick mind. I’m about to creep off to my pit and will hopefully dream about coding all night :wink:

Must have done too …/ Mind must have somehow connected to my root directory at about 03:00
and stimulated the “/” :wink:
Sign of PCitis or just anno dom. :frowning:

Thanks Ton :)…this really works great, and is much easier than macromedia’s solution! :wink:

Do Wunderground use ‘flash’ for Rapid Fire? When I went to my personal WU site last night, lo and behold a border and the dreaded ‘click to activate’ :frowning:

It’s not just a Flash issue. It’s any object, the best known being ActiveX.

I hope the patent holder sees sense soon and gives his patent back to the world. I think it’s fairly obvious by now that he’s just out to attack Microsoft. Most other browsers operate the same way as IE when presented with a Flash or other type of object, yet in all the years he’s been battling MS over the patent he doesn’t seem to have been making any headway/claims against the other browser developers who appear to be abusing his patent in exactly the same way as MS.

I hope that he’s getting plenty of mail telling him what everyone thinks about his antics.

Has anyone been able to get this to work with XHTML compliance? such as the ‘index_xhtml_compliant.html’ in the WeatherDisplayLive.exe distribution file.

Never mind, got it working ok here w/XHTML compliance :D. Works ok with IE 6, & AOL browsers, could someone check with some other browser types?

I have tried the fix as Ton has suggested, but for me WDL never finishes the load - there is an hourglass and "1 more thing remaining to download). It does not complete. If I then click refresh, it completes immediately.

I have taken the line out of my index.HTML file. The Java file is on my server.

Can someone take a look at the HTML file, see if there is anything out of order and suggest where I should put the one line of code so it will work? I am using 4.13 although the Index file calls out an earlier version - I do that so I just make 2 changes to the index file and then rename the exe and swf files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/ccucchi/

Thanks

Craig

I’m amazed that the HTML works at all. You’ve got three tags and two tags. The browser must be confused about the structure of your page!

You’ve also got references to both wdlv3_06.swf and wdlv4_10.swf in there.

I’d suggest tidying up those problems first and then see what happens. You might find that JS will work once the page structure is corrected.

OK, I have clean up and edited, and used the index.html from the WDL 4.13 download, and I still get the 1 item remaining.

Any additional thoughts?

Craig