Weather Display Crashes using FC5 Kernel 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5

I just installed the kernel update to FC5, 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5, and when I run the GoWeather.sh, WeatherD crashes with the line “./GoWeather.sh: line 20: 2672 Segmentation fault ./WeatherD”

It was working fine with the original kernel.

No APRS, ftp etc.

what weather station type?
i do know that someone reports that one of the kernal updates causes a bad memory leak with the com port comonent i have used

i have emailed the author of that so many times asking when will they fix that i am too scared to ask again

not much i can do when linux changes the kernal and breaks programs that were running just fine before

My weather station is a WS2310 connected to ttyS0. I had to go back to the original Kernel that came with the FC5 install ISO. The crach occured with the older version of weather display and the newest, 5.5E.

John

I installed a newer kernel, 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 and the software still crashes. The station is a ws-2310.
Any ideas out there?

John

I’ve been experiencing similar symtems with Kubuntu breezy and kernel 2.6.12-10-386. There is a known memory leak in the nrComm lib that Brian uses for the Linux version. I’ve contacted them and they are aware of the problem and a fix is coming. I’m currently running v5.5f here, and it does work… just that I have a memory leak that requires a restart of WD every 5-6 hours. Btw, my weather station is a WM918 hooked up to com1. (0 in linux)

A few things to check about you’re error… first off, make sure you extract WeatherD-5.5c.tar.gz to your /home/username directory… otherwise you’ll experience the seg fault. Also, the upgrade v5.5f with a filename of WeatherDlinux.gz is NOT a gzip’ed file. (I’m sure you know this) It’s the binary of WeatherD which is in you’re /home/username/wdisplay directory. (Brian, maybe you should clarify this on the web site?) :wink:

Dana