WXSIM data on a webpage

Hi All,

I am interested in posting WXSIM forecasts on my webpage. I was wondering if anyone has seen one published. I am interested in seeing some examples to get some ideas on formating.

John

I’d be interested in this as well. I wondered about using the CSV file output to load the data into a spreadsheet and then create graphs/data summaries, but have never got round to it. If anyone has found an easy way of publishing the data that would be very useful.

Hi All,

I think the CSV file might be the way to go. Currently I am posting the TXT output form the run. You can see this on my web page www.johnsnhweather.com/wx10.html. WXSIM is a nice program, but it’s a good thing I’m bald because if not I would be by the time im finished.

Any comments would be appreciated. I am developing a set of run instructions that I use to run a normal forecast. I will post when I get them working.

John

Looks good.
Chuck

I think the CSV file might be the way to go. Currently I am posting the TXT output form the run. You can see this on my web page www.johnsnhweather.com/wx10.html. WXSIM is a nice program, but it's a good thing I'm bald because if not I would be by the time im finished.

Any comments would be appreciated. I am developing a set of run instructions that I use to run a normal forecast. I will post when I get them working.

John

John,

I just received my copy of WxSim & Mate and am beginning my education. I’m having trouble getting the output on my web page using the %loadfile% tag because it seems to strip the cr/lf. I’d be interested in finding out how you get it on your web site. Examples attached.

Also, have you made any progress on your instructions? Thanks in advance. - Jim

Update: It turned out there was nothing wrong with the tag, I just needed

%loadfile%c:\wxsim'latest.txt#
on the web page to preserve the formatting of the original text file.

Hi Jim,

How are you making out with wxsim. I am still trying to learn how to use it properly. It is a lot more complicated than I originally thought and because I am so close to the Canadian boarder I have problems getting all of the data I need for the forecast runs. The instructions that I am developing are very basic and I am still working on them but I will send them to you when I get them organized. We should keep in touch.

John

using that

tag is good…and actualy it should fix the same problem some people have had with weather report emails where they have set to use html format…i wonder then that i need to add those tags in…

John,

I’m just scratching the surface of WxSim and have a long way to go. I have to believe that there’s a lot more capability built into that program than I’ll ever be able to understand. My goal right now is to just find out which combination of data and which settings will give me the best forecast. It’s very interesting but a pretty steep learning curve.

Perhaps when you get a technique or set of instructions that you think are viable, we should start another thread to discuss them. From what I’ve read on this forum there seems to be a fair amount of interest out there and a lot of energy to be tapped. I know that Tom is still planning on an “automated” version for us in the June/July timeframe and I’m sure that our thoughts/discoveries would be of great use to him.

Brian, my fault on the tag use for not RTFMing adequately. I guess you could build that in if a double set of tags won’t mess up the other folks who are already using them.

• Jim

Hi everyone,

I saw there was a thread going, so I wanted to pop in!

As for posting WXSIM output to a web page, there are probably many ways to do this. You might take a look at www.wxsim.com and click on the ‘recent forecast’ link on the main page. I just pasted the text into the web page in Dreamweaver, and uploaded a GIF (the color seems better than JPG) of a screenshot (PrtScrn and paste into Paint) I made of the output using WXSIM’s File/Retrieve function’s Plot option.

Regarding an upcoming version, I’m eagerly awaiting the opportunity to get back to work on it! I’m a high school teacher, and it’s really busy near the end of the school year. I’m about to get some free time again soon, though, and have a number of ideas I want to implement, including a fair degree of (optional) automation.

I know from posts and other feedback I’ve gotten that many people find WXSIM’s learning curve steep. I would apologize and/or try to simplify it more, but I think that would rob it of some of its flexibility and power, so it’s just kind of “the nature of the beast”! :slight_smile:

My advice on that is to just take it easy and learn a bit at a time (unless you really like to dive in, which is fine, too!). Be sure to use the blue-text help. I also recommend literally playing with the program, making fake forecasts for other dates and times, just to see how the program reacts to changes you make in cloud cover, precip, wind, advection data, etc. Then, when you make real forecasts, you’ll have a better feel for the program.

Thanks for your interest and support! :slight_smile:

Tom (WXSIM author)