WXSIM in Australia

Well this really looks like a very interesting package, but the most important part for me will it work in Australia, and if so what datasources does it need ??

Our Bureau of Meterology is at www.bom.gov.au

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in WXSIM!

Yes, WXSIM can definitely work in Australia. I’ve had only a couple of customers (near Perth and near Adelaide), but did some practice customizations (including Sydney and Canberra, as you can see if you download the demo from www.wxsim.com).

There are some useful data sources that would not be available - in particular FOUS, MOS, and MAPS (as these are just for North America). However, you have your surface data in either METAR or synoptic format, which WXSIM imports, and your upper air (RAOB) data can be read by WXSIM. Very importantly, the GFS model, for which you can get data from the READY site, in a form WXSIM reads, is available worldwide. I’m not sure how dense the buoy coverage is off the coast of Queensland, but if there are standard, reporting buoys, WXSIM can read that, too. All these data types are freely available on the internet. Some of them are more conveniently and quickly collected with the optional program WXSIMATE, but can be gotten manually even without it.

Definitely there is no problem with the southern hemisphere location. WXSIM figures all the sun position data for your exact location, and in the process of customization I carefully adjust the data files for your own climatology.

By the way, I’ve always been interested in Australia and its weather. In July and August 1992, I had the pleasure of spending a month there (all in NSW, Victoria, and the ACT), as part of a teacher exchange program with a school north of Sydney. I had a thermometer with me basically everywhere I went, and made a point of watching (and even taping) TV weather forecasts. I also visited the Sydney BOM office one day, and had a very pleasant chat with a few of the meteorologists there, who even made copies of some climate records for me.

I digress! Anyway, the answer is yes, it works in Australia! :slight_smile:

Tom

Thanks for that… now to dig in to it, and start configuring to suit.