New Anemometer Installation

I’m sure some of you thought that I finally got past the “blockade” of the home owner’s association, but I actually just had a talk with someone on the board this evening… :wink: :lol:

He suggested that I make a proposal, telling the association what I will be doing exactly - where I will be drilling the holes, including a picture, etc.

Any suggestions with approaching the proposal?

Thanks.

–Tim

Include $$ #-o

Seriously, best of luck with your proposal.

Thanks Dan…

I know, it’s going to be a very difficult task to complete. :frowning: :roll: #-o

–Tim

I’d play up your website and the value to the community. Forecast, current conditions in their neighborhood not some TV or radio station miles away. Then tell them that you need to place the anemometer to give them more accurate readings to prepare for windchill and how to dress the kids for school.

I’d take pictures of the anemometer by itself to show how small it is. I wouldn’t include the whole station unless you plan on mounting it in sight.

Good luck and make them think they need it.

–Dave

That’s exactly what I was thinking, Dave.

It’s honestly not that big of a “thing” up in the air…And anyways, I’ve already made a website for the community. They should think that that’s enough already. :wink: 8O

–Tim

Do the ‘community’ know your web site is there to look at? Perhaps say that when you get the anemometer sited to give more accurate readings you’ll publicise the site, e.g. put some flyers through doors.

Actually, Chris, most of the people in my section of the neighborhood (which is a small part) know that I have a website. Again, this is only my area of the neighborhood.

I will give that a try…I was going to just wing it and put it up there to see what happens. :wink: I don’t really see too much trouble in this as they just give you a warning letter first and if you don’t obey, you get a fine. :?

–Tim

hey Tim, i have had a wmr968 user that reports their wmr968 only will send data to the PC when using a USB to serial adaptor when not connected to AC power (batteries only) , which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen
maybe that is what was happening to you with your wmr968 station
(and this might help others too)

Interesting, Brian…

I thought that I also tried that with my station, but maybe not. I don’t really remember.

Next time someone has a problem like that, refer them to this topic or tell them to unplug it from AC power and maybe it will work. 8O That would be excellent if we could find the resolution to that problem! :roll: :lol:

–Tim

By the way, if anyone has a Davis VP2 anemometer transmitter kit for sale, please let me know…Just in case this whole plan does work out. :wink:

Thanks.

–Tim

I don’t have a transmitter kit, but I do have a ladder I can lend you :wink:

:lol:

I doubt I’m going to need a ladder, for I will probably have someone come out and do it for me. I just don’t know if I want to spend $110 from Provantage on the transmitter kit, another $15 for the mounting hardware, and another $20 to have someone install it. :roll:

–Tim

Gee, for only $20 for someone to install it for you, I’d just pay the $20 and get it done !

To get the anemometer in the spot you want, and not have to move the ISS in to a not so great spot, the transmitter kit is the only way to go. You could then get it mounted near the gutters, where you only need to rest a ladder up to change the battery every couple of years, as that way you won’t have to climb on to the roof to do that. Although you might still be able to mount the transmitter on a wall lower down so you won’t even need a ladder at all.

Well, I’ve been thinking about exactly where the anemometer will be installed on the apex of the house an had a few questions…

1. If I use a 5’ pole, would 2’ of support be enough?

2. If I use a 5’ pole and it would have 2’ of support, would 3’ clearance above the roof be high enough? I guess if I absolutely had to, I could use a 10’ pole and give it about 4’ of support. I would rather not do this because I would have to buy another 10’ pole and it would be even more noticeable.

I would like to know what you guys think soon, since I’m going to be writing the proposal to the association within the next couple of weeks. #-o

Thanks.

–Tim

What shape is the roof?

Well, where I am mounting it is the apex of the roof (shaped like an A).

–Tim

Any ideas?

Thanks.

–Tim

In that case I think I would try to get it more than 3 feet above the apex.

So probably 5’+ above the apex?

Also, would 3-4’ be enough support for a 10’ pole?

Thanks.

–Tim

I think 5’ is a lot better than 3’, really as much as you can get, but most of us just have to do the best we can. 3’ to 4’ support for a 10 footer with just an anemometer is OK, assuming the supports are solid, that’s about what I have on mine.