cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: New Anemometer Installation  (Read 51810 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: New Anemometer Installation
« Reply #285 on: July 19, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »
So in essence you are frustrated because you don't live underground on a featureless, treeless, grass covered property of at least 10 acres, with no zoning restrictions so that you can mount your anemometer on a 10 meter mast, and the rest of your weather station at the perfect location?

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #286 on: July 19, 2006, 05:17:14 PM »
So in essence you are frustrated because you don't live underground on a featureless, treeless, grass covered property of at least 10 acres, with no zoning restrictions so that you can mount your anemometer on a 10 meter mast, and the rest of your weather station at the perfect location?

Niko,

No, that's not what I'm trying to say.  Yes, I should be happy with what I have, considering that the current location is better than the old one, but....eh I give up.  #-o

--Tim

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: July 19, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »
Tim,

Despite your impression I don't see that there is any real proof that your wind reading is very incorrect, unless you know that the anemometer is blocked in some particular direction. I really doubt that where you were, which I'm assuming was down on the street in between the houses, experienced higher wind gusts than where your anemometer is up on the roof - unless the houses caused some local funneling effect. What I'm trying to say is that a) wind is a very hard thing to measure except very local to the instrument, b) your wind gust may well be correct for your general location, c) within the limits of accuracy and response time of the device it was almost certainly correct for the anemometer location, d) you have made a very good effort to optimize your weather station installation for your particular location, e) there's no reason to be frustrated by things you cannot reasonably change.

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:28 PM »
Despite your impression I don't see that there is any real proof that your wind reading is very incorrect, unless you know that the anemometer is blocked in some particular direction. I really doubt that where you were, which I'm assuming was down on the street in between the houses, experienced higher wind gusts than where your anemometer is up on the roof - unless the houses caused some local funneling effect. What I'm trying to say is that a) wind is a very hard thing to measure except very local to the instrument, b) your wind gust may well be correct for your general location, c) within the limits of accuracy and response time of the device it was almost certainly correct for the anemometer location, d) you have made a very good effort to optimize your weather station installation for your particular location, e) there's no reason to be frustrated by things you cannot reasonably change.

Niko,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, although I have been stubborn about it.

Thanks to Chris as well.  :wink:

By the way, here are some pictures of the storm damage:

http://www.newtownweather.com/stormdamage1.JPG
http://www.newtownweather.com/stormdamage2.JPG
http://www.newtownweather.com/stormdamage3.JPG
http://www.newtownweather.com/stormdamage4.JPG

--Tim

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »
Wow, is it unusual to get high winds where you are?

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #290 on: July 20, 2006, 01:02:22 AM »
I would hope that the airport had a better reading , however, I have an airport 3 miles to the south and the NOAA about 5 miles to the NW.  Adding the local weather stations and the other personal weather stations and I say it isn't that bad.   I wouldn't complain about not getting a 51 mph wind.  We also had a storm about 31 mph here that took out several branches of peaches.   

Anyway,  I think the idea of the multiple weather stations that are not government, is to get a better picture of how the weather /climate is represented.   One of the big cavets of a personal weather station is that it is just that.   

It doesn't take much wind to wipe out trees, ( or mother in law on a broom)
  So hang in there and good luck.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave;https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2006, 01:15:54 AM »
Wow, is it unusual to get high winds where you are?

Niko,

My area doesn't usually get high winds, except for thunderstorms and blizzards.

Every once in a blue moon we will have a High Wind Advisory (30+ mph gusts).

I would hope that the airport had a better reading , however, I have an airport 3 miles to the south and the NOAA about 5 miles to the NW.  Adding the local weather stations and the other personal weather stations and I say it isn't that bad.   I wouldn't complain about not getting a 51 mph wind.  We also had a storm about 31 mph here that took out several branches of peaches.  

Anyway,  I think the idea of the multiple weather stations that are not government, is to get a better picture of how the weather /climate is represented.   One of the big cavets of a personal weather station is that it is just that.  

It doesn't take much wind to wipe out trees, ( or mother in law on a broom)
  So hang in there and good luck.  

Aardvark,

The closet airport from me is about 15-20 miles away, so I can't really compare readings there.

--Tim

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2006, 01:21:09 AM »
any other personal stations in the town?
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave;https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:41 AM »
any other personal stations in the town?

No...The next closest (accurate) one is about 10-15 minutes away.

I believe that I had a higher gust than any other reporting station within 20-25 minutes of me, but I really don't know how their setup is.

--Tim

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2006, 01:39:58 AM »
if the trees aren't used to high winds when they are in leaf then they will break more easily at this time of year, but I wonder if you had some downward wind thing that wouldn't register correctly on an anemometer.

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2006, 01:50:30 AM »
if the trees aren't used to high winds when they are in leaf then they will break more easily at this time of year, but I wonder if you had some downward wind thing that wouldn't register correctly on an anemometer.

Niko,

Like you said, the trees aren't used to the high winds, but in my opinion, that doesn't look like 40 mph wind damage.  Also, some towns surrounding me have not had power for the last 24 hours and just got it back on within the last few hours.

What do you mean by a "downward wind thing"?

--Tim

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2006, 02:02:14 AM »
Sorry, a microburst, couldn't think of the word when I was typing #-o

Offline aifan27

• Tim
  • Pennsylvania
    • Newtown Weather
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2006, 02:07:18 AM »
Sorry, a microburst, couldn't think of the word when I was typing #-o

Ah...yes.  That is definitely a possibility.

That is basically a downburst, which produces straight-line winds, right?

Just curious...Would those pictures of the trees be an example of a downburst?

--Tim

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2006, 02:15:46 AM »
I think you would need more info about what happened in the general area to start to make that determination. I suggest you look up microburst and see if it seems likely.

cumulus