Live from Coalville, UK - now including MML

Just noticed from another thread, that you can put a personal forecast in the input daily weather screen of WD and have it show in WDL. So having only set it up a few days ago, I’ve just had a quick redesign to make space for forecasts. I much prefer the layout as I’ve got it now… what do you think? http://www.photoweather.com/aws/live.htm

Sam,

That looks sharp… nice layout :slight_smile:

-Bob

Cheers Bob… really should have setup WDL far sooner methinks. Great to have such frequent uploads with so little overhead…

All of the above, for me too :smiley:
I just love it !!

Anyone any idea why my forecast icon today has been for snow? The temperature has been 7

Was the word ‘snow’ mentioned in the forecast? WDL works by looking for the icon value from WD and for keywords in the forecast text. The most ‘severe’ value or word found will trigger the appropriate icon. You can turn off the keyword checking in the wdlconfig.xml file.

Julian

Ah, that sounds like the problem then Julian… I mentioned the risk of snow during the middle of next week, so that’s probably what it picked up on. Very clever!

Just a note to say that I’ll have up to a weeks downtime at the end of May unfortunately, as I have to move house. I’ll try to ensure the weather station is down for as little time as possible, but obviously the internet connection will have to be moved before the live uploads continue. The house move is only a couple of miles so shouldn’t affect the climatology, but I’ll likely rebrand myself “Coalville Weather Centre” given I won’t quite be living in Whitwick any more!

Coalville & Whitwick Weather - LIVE!

good luck with the move Sam!

Hi all,

Just a little note to say the weather station move went nice and smoothly and I probably have a better exposure now, particularly with regards wind readings. The station was moved on the 31st of May, but my broadband internet connection has just come back online this morning, so everythjing’s running live again. As ever, feedback and criticism welcomed… :slight_smile:

Coalville and Whitwick Weather - LIVE!

Just in case anyone has my live weather page bookmarked, please note I’ve updated my website and it now has a new URL of http://www.photoweather.com/aws/live.asp. Nothing has changed particularly as far as the front end is concerned, just easier for me to manage behind the scenes! :slight_smile:

Hi

It’s looks very nice as well as you photos. The site is ‘little’ to wide for resolution 1024x768, so I got a horizontal scrollbar in the botton of the page

Regards Jocke

Thanks for the comments. Really should have checked it worked ok in 1024x768 shouldn’t I! :oops: No worries, works ok now… thanks for pointing it out. :smiley:

Have done a bit of work on my live page in the last couple of days… as well as upgrading to the latest version of WDL, I’ve incorporated MML into the same page. Wasn’t too sure how the performance would be with 2 big flash movies on 1 page, but it seems fine on my connection. Would appreciate a few of you guys giving it a go to see if you run in to any problems though. Very impressed with MML, a very tidy app… would just like to source some prettier maps! :wink:

I’ve changed the URL for my live weather page btw, although the one above still works atm. Please use http://www.photoweather.com/aws/ukweatherlive.asp now. :slight_smile:

The issue of two Flash items on the same page isn’t really about download speed. Each Flash object uses quite a bit of CPU and the more there are on a page the slower it will be on lower spec PCs. We had to limit the number of stations on MML to 50/map because we found that the processing required to handle more than that made MML grind to a halt on low spec PCs.

Maps…we’re thinking about an idea or two for a future version of MML, so watch this space. The global mapping data is OK when viewing large areas, but the pixelation is much more visible when ‘zoomed in’ to a smaller area of a country. I’m using the largest data set I know of (that doesn’t cost the earth!) to generate the MML maps. That’s already 4GB of data and it takes a lot of CPU to generate maps from it. Even if larger data sets were available I’m not sure I could use them!

Yeah, I know decent maps cost a lot unfortunately, so wasn’t having a dig at the software… more the companies that provide map data. :slight_smile:

Anyone had any problems with the load of the 2 flash movies in 1 page then?.. I’m guessing not by the number of people that have tried it with mentioning any problems… :slight_smile:

i see the word, odd tornado in the forecast makes for a tornado icon for the forecast icon in wdl ,neat!

The performance issues might not be as obvious now. We found the problem over 18 months ago and I guess some older PCs will have been replaced by new turbo charged beasts by now.

I’ve not had much mention of performance problems over on UKww where a couple of dozen people have tested it out for me, so I’m fairly happy with have the dual combination on there. Perhaps this means more stations could be offered per map now then? :wink: