Crash

Brian:
The program crashed for the second day at midnight. I recall someone else had that problem. What was the solution?

Iam running 950.

It looks like it finished doing the upload then crashed. It was about 12:00:05 just before the noaa report loaded. The ftplog looks fine. I’ll email you those logs to see if you can spot something that I can’t see.

I have the reset at midnight and it appears it did reset.

Please see “12AM,1AM WD Dies…every day” topic, page 5.

My crash occurs at 12:03 plus or minus one second.

I am not uploading anything. However, it is 2 minutes before the noaa uploads. I turned off just about all options including web cam and still crashed. So I reverted the system clock back to 11:59 and think it happens when the NOAA report gets ready to load and send me an email. I will give it a test again tonight.

I will also go into the connections and uncheck the limit failures feature. I think it is already, but will check further.

I also did a Dr. Watson and sent the report to Brian. It showed the error and he just might figure this one out.

FWIW, I’ve NEVER had WD crash on W2K or XP Pro (w/ and w/o SP1). Minimal FTP action though.

Tom

FWIW, I've NEVER had WD crash on W2K or XP Pro (w/ and w/o SP1). Minimal FTP action though.

Tom

That’s incredible but also very encouraging. I’ve been running Windows XP Prof for many months and I don’t think it ever crashed until I started running WD. I’ve seen Windows XP freeze, crash and burn more times these past few weeks than you can imagine! It was shocking at first since I hadn’t seen such unstability since Windows 95/98 days. I do use the ftp function but I saw this thing freeze last night even with the Main Internet switch turned off. I’ve never been able to use Control-ALt-Delete nor Win XP’s Task Manager to recover and always have to reboot completely. If you’ve never had WinXP Prof crash (and boy am I envious!) then either it’s something to do with my windows installation that’s unstable or it’s WD’s support for the Peet Brothers Ultimeter weather station. This may be my project for the coming weekend and that is to clean install Windows XP Prof and then see what happens.

One thing that REALLY screws up XP is the use of third party drivers (monitors, etc.) Stick with vanilla suff and it is fine. The thing will run for months on end unless I try to install funky games etc.; the first stable OS from MS!

Tom

ted, there is something happening with your setup, thats for sure
But 99% of ultimeter owners are not having any problems

I dont have any crashes with weather display either, myself, windos 2000

THE ftp to limit the number of errors is unchecked.

It is not windows that crashes but wdisplay. Excerpts from the Dr. Watson Dump file:
Application exception occurred:
App: C:\wdisplay2\WeatherD.exe (pid=2724)
When: 30/01/2003 @ 00:02:14.671
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\wdisplay2\WeatherD.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for C:\wdisplay2\WeatherD.exe
function: WeatherD
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINNT\system32\user32.dll -
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINNT\system32\kernel32.dll -
ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child

----> Stack Back Trace <----
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll -
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child

The crash occurs at 12:02 AM. Everything has loaded and it is just sitting. Every thing reset. The next thing that should occur is the NOAA and dailyreport update at 12:05 AM

I have switched that off along with the email and will see if it is that that is causing the crash.

At no other time does the error log generate.

App: C:\wdisplay2\WeatherD.exe (pid=2724)
Do you have more than one directory with Weather Display in it? "C:\[b]wdisplay2[/b]\WeatherD.exe" looks like there may be two Weather Display directories. Could that confuse Windows?

I have one empty and one with a wdisplay 3 directory. However the wdisplay 3 was formed only in an attempt to see if it would crash at midnight with a fresh independent copy . Used brians 3w…txt file.

I suppose and willgo into the root directory and manually remove that, in the registery and remove that entry as well as the system ini but really don’t think that is the problem, but it is excess baggage.

i will look into the this as soon as i have some lunch Joe
just had to fix the problems with the extra real time graph first!
(which is finally working the way it should be!)

I am going to add a real time graph to the graph history, so that you can scroll along the data and see the actual data at that particular time…

you really need to eat. TOO thin.

ok
at 2 minutes past either midnight or 9am, WD does the daily averages/extreme update/upload

so, try backing up then deleting the file january2003.htm

then, under view, averages/extreme, scroll down to the reset web page averages/extreme, and then wd can recreate it

if it still crashes, it will most likely sort it self out with the start of the month

and you might want to reset the log file:
action, import log files, convert wd log files to graphs, tick convert graph file to log file, then choose month12002.inf

and click on convert

maybe do that before the above step.

I will try all this myself with the data you sent me Joe as well after I let WD run for a bit (testing something)