Providing supplimental power on same CAT5 as network

I need some advice as I need to rewire my 1-wire lan and add a power injector (can’t put the solar detector or a barometer on the 1-wire network using native power from the serial adaptor as the network becomes unstable). I will be using strict linear topology of about 150 feet with soldered connections whenever possible.

1. The question I have is should I run the +5v DC and +15v unregulated on the same CAT5e as I am running the 1-wire bus? I am planning on using the Green(+5v) and the White/Greens for the 5v ground. The Brown(+15v) and the White/Brown for the 15v ground. I have the 1-wire bus (DQ and Data GND) on the same blue twisted pair. I was wondering if I am going to get interference with the supplimental power supplied on the same CAT5 as data and data return? If I have to add a second CAT5 line just for supplimental power, now is the time to do it.

2. Secondly, do you need to power the DS18s20 1-wire temp sensors? I will have about 10 of them hard wired directly to the 1-wire bus throughout the house and I wondered if they load the network too much. If I do wire them with power, do you connect the 5volt GND to the GND leg on the SD18s20? That would put the 5v power(Vdd) on leg 3, DQ(Data) on leg 2 and both the Data return(or data GND- white/blue wire) and the 5v GND(white/green wire) on leg 1 of the DS18s20. The two grounds would also have to be connected together at the power injector. Seems like you would have signal interference on the 1-wire lan by sharing the grounds. Maybe not?

3. I may also need an ilink adaptor. I have seen references to “ilink adaptor” and “The Link”. I found a place to buy “The Link” on a google search but not the ilink (even at iButtons site). Are they the same thing and if not is one better than the other?

I am using W2k, DS9097U adaptor, AAG V3 weather station, 5 temp sensors, 2 Humidity/Temp sensors, rain gauge, solar sensor (currently disconnected) all on native 1-wire power. Right now I am running about 100 feet of CAT5e with all soldered connections.

I also run power on my CAT5 interface - you can see the pairs I use at

http://www.mulveyfamily.com/wiki/index.php/WeatherStation

My weather page is http://weather.mulveyfamily.com

I’ve never had any interference with the 1-wire lines at all, from the powered lines.

Generally, you do NOT want to power the temp sensors - doing so will raise their temperature slightly, which is obviously undesirable. I have 8 sensors on mine, on one branch, and they work fine.

You can get The Link at http://www.ibuttonlink.com HIGHLY recommend - it often makes the difference between a usable and unusable long network. It’s the same thing as ilink.

• Rich

So you use the Orange/White GND wire for both the 5v and 9v supplies? I am glad to hear the power supply on the same CAT5 is not causing interference. That will simplify my rewiring considerably. Not powering the SD18s20 temp sensors will help also.

Is there any reason to get “The Link” with a 1-wire address? I will be running just the one serial adaptor.