Davis VP Barometer 1 Min Update (10.31j)

Hi,

I have tried 10.31j and every minute I have a 5 to 10 second ‘click-click-click’ sound coming from the weather console. Is this normal and expected behavior of the VP trying to update the barometer through WD?

I have an original VP, Win XP, and use a serial port set at 19200. I have currently gone back to 10.31f because my console sits in our main room and the clicking noise is annoying.

yes, thats the sound it makes when the console updates the barometer reading
thats what the console does every 15 minutes to get the barometer normaly, anway
you can turn off the force update every minute in the station type setup, davis vp, in 10.31k, ready soon

maybe putting some foam pads under the console

i am actualy a bit surprised that with a few minutes someone is saying that do not like the holly grail for the VP, barometer updating every minute instead of every 15 minutes only

Brian

Thanks for this GREAT addition.

How do I see the new data or tell if my VP2 is updating every min? I have the weatherlink in the Davis Envoy in my office and the VP2 console in the den.

Rock On Holy Grail!

Frank

check the log file 12006.txt
unless you have a rick solid barometer at the moment, you should see small changes occuring there in the barometer , more often that what it was before
i explained this in the original thread

e.g the auto scale graph barometer, if set to say last hour, will also show more variation

Is the clicking something from the VP1 console. I’ve just put my console next to my ear for a full minute and not heard any clicking.

yes…
i can hear it here OK
happens on the 40 second mark with 10.31k :wink:

Don’t hear it on the data logger but I don’t think is has any switches.
–Dave

Maybe my office is too noisy but I don’t hear any clicking. Log file shows minute changes so I think its working.

What a fantastic addition to WD and VP stations! Great job Brian…you da man! :3dblob7: :signthanks:

It’s fairly noisy in here, but I put my ear on the console case and still can’t hear anything. The pressure does seem to be updating every minute though.

the thanks need to go to tinplate for finding the command needed :slight_smile:
i am out the door now, away for the next 3 days :wink:

maybe the VP2 does not make the clicking noise, only the VP1 does?
(which I have)

It is certainly a great idea adding this. My VP1 certainly clicks, Ive just been timing it and it starts to click about 45 seconds and continues on and off for about 15 seconds till neary the minute, sounds a bit like morse code. This is on 10.31k where Brian changed the timing.

I am puzzled that it clicks for so long, I would have expected it to click once or twice for a baro reading not the 10 or 12 I seem to get spread over the 15 second period.

Stuart

Interesting. Mine does not click at all (VP2). I can’t hear anything noise whatsoever from the console when the barometer updates, and the console is right next to me at my desk. I think that the console powers on and then powers off the barometer sensor (just that sensor, not the whole console) as part of its process of taking a reading. Maybe that is what causes a click on some.

Steve

Thanks tinplate! This is a fantastic addition for VP owners.

Can someone please remind me how to do the manual barometer update on the console?

IIRC, you hit the done button twice. I think it’s the done button…geesh, got C.R.S. here lately…

So here I sit hearing this and wondering what the Sam #$# ll this could be and it is this thing clicking. I think I was losing my mind. That is what I get from watching two shows of Blue Collar Comedy and thinking Larry could work where I do and fit in …

it clicks a bunch of times, then stops then a flash of ticking. Of course I have the vp1 console, jus kind o surprised that it makes the sound in the first place…

it clicks a bunch of times, then stops then a flash of ticking. Of course I have the vp1 console, jus kind o surprised that it makes the sound in the first place…

and now with this thing ticking … you are leaving for 3 days? oh my lord…

Latest version has an option to turn it off.

[quote author=nikoshepherd