cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Oregon Scientific CableFree™ Weather Station WMR-968  (Read 3358 times)

Offline CaptDilli

• Little Switzerland NC USA
    • Little Switzerland Weather - NC - Butterfly Crossing
Oregon Scientific CableFree™ Weather Station WMR-968
« on: January 26, 2003, 06:17:36 PM »
Some observations of my Oregon Scientific CableFree™ Weather Station WMR-968.

System Info:
Win 98SE, IE-5.5, WD v.  9.43c w/default FTP (in passive mode DSL).  Pentium 233, 256MB RAM.  

You get what you pay for.  A fair imitation of the real thing.  Good for non-exacting hobbyist  
Not very accurate appears worse than published specifications.  I used a Sling Psychrometer to compare temperature and humidity readings with the WMR-968 readings.  Will not indicate relative humidity above 96% (as published).
The supplied radiation shield is absolutely worthless.  It is best to build or obtain a useful radiation shield.  
Wind will not measure below 2.7 MPH.  Rain only records in 1 mm (.04 in) units.
My WMR-968 fails to send data to WD after a power failure (AC) when power is restored.  The computer running WD never lost power and WD was never shut down or restarted.  It took several restarts of WD and the computer before good data was received from the WMR-968.  
During the power loss to the WMR-968, WD kept running, showing no changes in the data display (normal).  The graphs just kept running showing the last data received and were never updated, even after power was restored to the WMR-968.  The extremes (web log file) have never been updated even after reboots and WD restarts and data displayed is correct.
BC
System Info:
XP Home, SP 3, Firefox 3.5.7, IE-7, Pentium 4 2.26GH, 1024MB RAM, Desktop, ADSL, No screen saver, http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/bfcrealtime.htm
http://littleswitzerlandweather.info/live/index.html

Offline Zackg

• Ravenden Springs, AR
    • Zack's Personal Web Page
additional observations
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 07:26:32 PM »
I believe the ranges you experience have something to do with the transmitters/sensors.

For example, I had an outdoor temp/humidity sensor that went bad.  It would give me 99% humidity.  The replacement only gives me 98%.

My wind gauge will give me 2.6 mph minimum.

I guess you get what you pay for.

In my case, my OS is much better than my guess.
Life is what you make it.
wmr-968 WinXP

Zack

cumulus