cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Sharing XML (WDFULLDATA.XML)  (Read 8817 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: Sharing XML (WDFULLDATA.XML)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 03:01:12 AM »
Seems like the NWS isn't as xenophobic as some think, all temps appear to be in both F and C in their XML/RSS spec.

http://products.weather.gov/PDD/NWS_Current_Observations_RSS_XML.pdf

eg

<temperature_string>91 F (33 C)</temperature_string>
<temp_f>91</temp_f>
<temp_c>33</temp_c>

IT Farmer

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »
Sorry all, I should have realized that my NWS comments would stir up US nonstandardization comments.  But what I'm trying to get at is what do your Met services use.  I'll break from any more comments here until I can contact my friend at UKMO and see what their XML standards are.  Sorry for intruding on your parade.

Paul

Paul, that is where this forum is for. If we (actually Brian and Co) can get it right we all will be winners. Different opinions only create stronger solutions.  :lol:

H.

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 09:49:49 AM »
Sorry all, I should have realized that my NWS comments would stir up US nonstandardization comments.  But what I'm trying to get at is what do your Met services use.  I'll break from any more comments here until I can contact my friend at UKMO and see what their XML standards are.  Sorry for intruding on your parade.

It's only a discussion, so please carry on contributing.

I was just trying to inject a note of realism into the discussion process. I know there are many US WD users who are quite happy working in non-local units (like Celcius). However, the US public at large don't seem to be quite as up to speed with Celcius, mBar/hPa, mm, etc. US WD users understandably tend to build their sites using units they expect their users to be familiar with.

So if a XML schema includes data mainly in 'metric' units, I'm sure there will be calls for other equivalent tags containing the same data in non-metric format. We know that the data can easily be converted between units, but too many people expect the information to be handed to them on a plate without them having to do any work for themselves. And with XML some people might want to use it in ways that don't have easy methods of scripting the conversions. If you use XML from PHP or Perl (or any number of other languages) then it's not difficult to convert the values. But stick the XML into a XML viewer/formatter and you might not find it as easy to view the data in the units you are happiest with.
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator