1 wire lightning detector

Ok a lot is said about this, but I am complete lost :roll:

I got the 1 wire lightning detector from Hobby boards.

What do I need to connect it to my pc?

1. can I use the rj45 and hook it into a port on the computer? or
  2. can I use the rj45 and hook it into a port on my switch?

Do I need to have a rj45 to usb dongle if I have a rj45 port available?

Is it possible to cut up an usb cable and use that to connect to the lightning detector?

Anybody who can help?
Thanks
H.

I believe the adapter is the only way. By rj45 port available, do you mean a lan connection on the computer?
This FAQ discusses how to set it up w/ the adapter http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/9671
–Dave

you can also modify the counter and use with a LABJACK (which is USB)
thats works very well :slight_smile:

my counter is working great now that i have it up higher on the roof…
less flase house produced strikes, and its picking up storms 100km away!

What height in m, cause i’ve got mine at 7 m, and it only picks up CG+ up to 15m, next project is to install one at 25 meters

IT Farmer,
may I suggest you have a read through the ‘How To’s’ on the hobby-boards site.

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/howto_contents.php?osCsid=f7e595db940ef797b5b487fcb85803a9

It will give you much needed valuable information, not only on the wiring but also on building a 1-wire network.
Yes I know, we all said it…“we only want the lightning detector”,… but before you know it you will want to add a temp sensor for this and another for that.

Basically there are 2 options to connect to computer.

hi
its only at roof level
but i have a good earth stake put in :slight_smile:
i am exposed here, 300 feet up…

Actually, for me, the lightining detector is about the least useful of the 1-wire sensors, as it records several hundred false his a day.

And here I am averaging less than 1 false strike a month… In fact in the last two months, knock on wood, there hasn’t been a single false strike recorded…

-Bob

That seems to be the difference, it seems great in the US.

I have two 1-wire lightning detectors at different locations about 20 kms apart, both work great with no false strikes at all here in
Wellington, New Zealand. :? 8O

I am still having real problems with false strikes here in the UK, it gives 100s of strikes a day when there should be 0.

Stuart

I’ve given up on mine for now. The alarm LED was a complete waste of time, it just flashed constantly so I missed all other weather events.