cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: New VP2 and Serial to USB  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Zeke

• Gulf Shores, Alabama
    • Gulf Shores Weather Net
New VP2 and Serial to USB
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »
Dear friends.  UPS delivered my new VP2 on Monday.  I have assembled the unit and it's ready to go once I figure out my mounting options.  I must say the Davis was easy to set up and fun to play with. Thanks Ms. Santa!!!

Now comes the hard part.  As you may recall, I ordered the USB version but some of the members suggested that I go with the serial version.  Anyway, I have the serial version of Weather Link.  The Davis console was connected to the CPU by the serial to USB wire.  To make a long story short, I could not get my computer to find the USB driver on the WL disk.  I went to Davisnet and saws a newer version of WL.  Cool, after loading the new version, the device manager still cannot find the WL driver to connect the CPU to the Davis console.  I would prefer to set all up as a USB connection rather than serial. 

Sooooo, I connected the Weather Link hardware to the computer via the serial port and All works.  What is the purpose of having to connect a modem if you have the serial version of WL?  I don't want to use a modem.  I want to use my high speed DSL line to upload WL data to my web server.  Thanks to all for any replies.
Gulf Shores Weather Net - Weather Gumbo for coastal Alabama.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: New VP2 and Serial to USB
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:06:29 AM »
Exactly what version of weatherlink do you have? If it's a serial one then the wire from it connects directly to a com port and USB wouldn't be involved at all. Using the com port to connect to the weatherlink is nothing to do with using a modem, this is only the way that the weather station communicates with the PC. Your PC's connection with the internet isn't affected by this, it will still be using dsl/cable/whatever connection you have.

Offline Zeke

• Gulf Shores, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:31:15 AM »
Exactly what version of weatherlink do you have?...

WL 5.6.0a

Offline Qwarla

• Peter
  • Townsville, Australia
    • Qwarla Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 03:25:23 AM »
The drivers you are looking for are not with WeatherLink.

The drivers are for the USB to Serial adaptor and will be included with that hardware.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:42:53 AM »
It's a very confusing post, he says he has a serial, but then talks about the USB driver  :?

Offline Zeke

• Gulf Shores, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:14 AM »
The drivers you are looking for are not with WeatherLink.

The drivers are for the USB to Serial adaptor and will be included with that hardware.

Thanks... I owe you one.  That was what I needed to know and you said it so gracefully.