VP2 Upgrade Adventure

I know which way North is. Luckily the wall that the mast is on is pretty much spot on N-S which makes mounting anemometers really easy. I’ve got an anemometer transmitter, but I’ll mount it where I can get to it rather than up the pole.

Freezing rain isn’t an issue in this area so I don’t intend adding any type of protection for it. I’ve had anemometers up on this and my previous house for about 5 years now and I’ve not had a problem so far.

That was a joke. I knew you would. You can’t like the weather and not know which way is North; unlike my wife. One day my Dad asked her where the sun rose at our new house and she said that when we were in our other house it rose in the East but wasn’t sure about the new house yet. Gotta love her. I won’t even tell you what she thought about driving to Alaska.

–Dave

Sorry…I missed a smiley.

Driving to Alaska? There must be a joke in there somewhere?

[quote author=daveq link=topic=13090.msg101898#msg101898 date=1135111446]
That was a joke.

Just mount the transmitter down at the base of the pole, as there should be more than enough cable to have the anemometer up the top of the pole to get to the bottom of it.

That’s what I’m planning on doing when I can get some help on a still day… unfortunately have had the help ready go on days when it’s been a bit breezy, but not on still days. :frowning:

Actually I didn’t put a smiley in as I thought it was so obvious. My bad.

Some friends of ours were talking about driving to Alaska and my wife burst out laughing that anyone would think they could drive there. Later I asked her why and she said that you couldn’t drive to Alaska because it was an island. I asked why she would think that and she found a map of the US which had the continuous states and Hawaii and Alaska shown off to the side surrounded by blue. To her they both had to be islands. That was years ago and she now has a better grasp of the world. Boy am I glad she doesn’t care or know how to use computers.

Chris, did you get the second WD running and recording?

–Dave

I assumed the Alaska thing was about how far it was, but I know what you mean about it being an island.

Yes…WD a second copy of WD is running now talking to the VP2.

Even the bottom of the pole the anemometer is on is too high to reach without a ong ladder, so I’ll be bringing the transmitter down much lower!

Yippeee…I’m now live on the VP2. I think that putting the anemometer up has stopped the wind though. 10 minute average is just 1mph!

Congrats. Glad everything worked out for the switch over.

It will take a while to spot all the bits that I no longer have. For example, I’ve remove the solar and ET info from the web pages, but then noticed that it’s also included in the summary image #-o

10 minute wind average is now zero!

Looks ok from here…avg wind 0.8 MPH

5 MPH SW, wait a minute, MPH ?

Phew!!!
Great result Chris.
After your saga I think I’ll stick to my 928 :frowning: -so much for dreams. I have enough problems tweaking my 928 and the thought of what for me would be about 4 week’s work is enough to send me to the local home for the confused elderly.

I’m jealous really and I think the Davis Santa’s forgotten that I moved three years ago . [-o< for a miracle

[quote author=nikoshepherd

It wasn’t that bad really, so keep on with the dream.

Glad to see you got it all working.

I think…

Control Panel > Summary image/icons > Main Screen Icon Setup > Show the David VP…

Solar…eventually, but I need to save up first! The UV sensor is even more frighteningly priced! I must get round to trying to build one first though.

I have it displaying and scrolling on my WD at home but not on the web page from my site. That’s what I’m after.
–Dave

Ahhh…I think I know what it is. I have the console graphic animating showing the conditions at 1 minute intervals and the snapshots just happen to make it look like the forecast is scrolling across. If you look closely you’ll see it jump on each time the clock jumps on.

Yeah, that appears to be it. I didn’t notice the other data being animated. Thanks.
–Dave