Davis 6153 v. Rainwise MK-III

Hello and thanks for reading this post. I have always wanted a weather station but never had the time to do much research on which system to buy, etc, until now. Basically, I would like a roof top system that is easy to install and maintain. Also, I want a wireless system with the Weather Underground package.

The wireless Davis 6163 seems like the perfect choice for me. However, I’m also lusting after the Rainwise MK-III. The $ 400 price spread between the two systems is not an issue. The most important factors for me: Easy Install, Quality and ability able to Upload weather data to Weather Underground and other weather collection services. Rainwise offers a two year warranty while Davis offers one year. Davis seems to be the most popular system with good customer support. Rainwise support is also topnotch.

I do live in Gulf Shores, Alabama (a hurricane magnet) where wind and salty air tends to be a problem for some electronic equipment. Your thoughts or concerns would be most appreciated in helping me to make my choice. Thanks!

hi
they are both easy to setup, the rainwise easiest, its basicly ready to go
you will get better reception with the new VP2 though
the rainwise is quite heavy though, and so you need a well supported/braced mast, as all the instruments are on top of the pole, unless you get the separate rain guage (which idealy should not be at the top of the pole)
i have both stations in use myself

Just a question to clear some things up…

Is it the 6153 model or the 6163 model that you want? 8) :wink:

–Tim

Thanks Tim I should have been more specific. The 6153 refers to the Davis Vantage Pro2 Weather Underground package from Ambient Weather. This is the fan aspirated unit http://www.ambientweather.com/da61vaprowup1.html

If I go with the Rainwise unit, I want to make sure that it will work with Weather Display Live. WDL is so attractive to this old goat. Thanks to all that have replied so far to my post.

hi, yes the rainwise works with WD and WDL :wink:

Okay, I just wasn’t sure if you were going to get the 6153 or the 6163, because you said 6153 in the topic title and 6163 in your post.

I don’t really know too much about the RainWise system, but I have the Davis VP2 (6153). I have only had it for about a month now, but I like it a lot so far and it’s been working without any problems. If I were you, I would go with the Davis 6153 - you definitely need the FARS down there in the summer. Also, I have heard nothing but great things from Davis owners, as they have excellent support. There are many people on the forums with the VP2, so if you have any problems, we will be glad to help you.

Good luck with your choice.

–Tim

I’ve been very happy with Davis, I’m on the Pacific coast with a lot of salt fog and the station has stood up very well. Looks like the rainwise doesn’t offer a solar sensor or a fan aspirated enclosure, but it does have that cool console :slight_smile:

[quote author=nikoshepherd

Any choice yet, Zeke? :slight_smile: :wink:

–Tim

[quote author=aifan27 link=topic=13000.msg100210#msg100210 date=1134436991]
Any choice yet, Zeke?

I bought the Davis VP2 just a few minutes ago. I can always add the fan aspiration unit if need be this summer. I did save enough money between the Davis and the Rainwise unit to perhaps get a Boltek system later on. Or then again, I could just buy beer with the savings. Hmmmm.

Good choice with the Davis VP2. 8)

Are you planning on connecting it to the computer and using WD?

–Tim

Buy the beer, you can always save more money later :wink:

Good deal hope all works well for you,
Bob

Tim - Are you planning on connecting your station to your PC soon :wink:

Chris, I contacted Ted (tropicweather) to see if he had any more dataloggers left, but he said he had already sold all of them.

I am definitely planning on connecting it to my computer soon, not sure when I will get around to it, though. I don’t really know if I should buy the USB version or the serial version. As I mentioned before, if the connection doesn’t work properly, then I won’t be able to return it (approx. $150), I think… :wink: #-o

–Tim

I’ve heard that the thing to do is to get the serial version…and then if you want to use USB get a serial to USB converter. This avoids any potential issues with the USB version. The serial version works well, as does the USB version, but some people have had problems with the USB version, so if you want to be sure of avoiding the problem, go serial.

I have no personal experience of any of this (yet!)

Yes, I have heard the same thing as well from some other users.

I have had no problems with the serial version with WD or WV. I would avoid the USB version…

[quote author=aifan27 link=topic=13000.msg100407#msg100407 date=1134509824]
Good choice with the Davis VP2.

Thanks for the advice, Dan.