Several Questions

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest in my program! :slight_smile: I do understand what you mean about “freaking out” when you first saw it - there’s a lot of stuff there! In the long run, thant’s a good thing, as once you get the hang of it you should find it very versatile and flexible - and hopefully accurate!

You can actually use WXSIMATE (which can access your WD log files) and use that with WXSIM, even without, or before, registering. You need to correctly identify the directory where your WD files are stored in one of WXSIMATE’s text boxes, then Import that data (right side of the form), and then in WXSIM, use Import/Import Local Data.

This should be convenient, and neat, but is not a very big step towards a good forecast, as you could have entered most of that data manually, anyway. A bigger step is learning to import external data, such as METAR and model data (FOUS and READY formats). You can actually get the READY model data in there even without registering, but the METAR (and many other features) won’t work without the custom files I’d create for you.

While you think about customizing, in addition to trying it out in a rather limited way for your own site (you’d need to type in your lat, lon, etc. under Location/Other), try the sample data with Atlanta as the site, so you can see what it’s like with custom data. There are examples to work through in the manual, and be sure to click on any blue caption or word in the program for instant help on that topic.

BTW, I know what you mean about being “the weather man”. I’m a high school teacher (physics, astronomy, and - of course - meteorology!) and in the winter, I’m always being asked “is it going to snow?” and “are we going to have school tomorrow?”. Not that it does that much here in Atlanta - it snows or ices only about once or twice a year - but it doesn’t take much to close schools here! I (thankfully!) have no administrative responsibilities, and am really cautious about what I say. There are legends around school (based on little if any truth) that I either foresaw some storm, or said there was going to be one and they cancelled school and it didn’t happen and I got in trouble - or whatever!

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any questions,

Tom