cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Several Questions  (Read 6348 times)

Offline jayman228

• Portales, NM
    • Portales, NM Weather
Several Questions
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:50:59 AM »
Hello Tom,

First off, this is an amazing program. I was bored tonight and wanted something "new" to play with and came across this. I downloaded the program, installed it, checked it out and freaked out. LOL (But, I did that with Weather Display too..and now look me? I'm almost a pro! (Id like to think so anyways....Don't say a word Brian...heh heh))

After checking this out and realizing what the program does via the software and your instructions I came to learn that its a forcasting program. I read from someone on here who was asked by his wife "Whats it going to be like tomorrow?" and somehow I feel thats me from the people at work. They call me the weather man and all i gotta give them is what it is now and what is on the rader. I'd love to actually start taking the data that WD gives me and compile it to actually give me an forcast.

My question is to you is, how the heck do you get WD data to WXsim's? My understanding its not automatic, which I can live with but where do I go (ie: what file) do I import the data and how. I also downloaded the WXSTIMATE file and played with it for a hour or so and I just don't know which file WXSim's uses to import into WXSims. Plus any settings I need to change in the Data Import window? I have data from May 2005 - Current, it would be so awesome If i can put that in your program and get an forcast. Then I'd feel somewhat smart (expecially to my annoying co-workers asking me what the weather is going to do) heh heh

I also started the SYNOP/METAR as well and have it ftp/email every 15 minutes and tried to use that file to import from WXSim's and it wouldn't. I think i'm doing it wrong but unsure.

If there is a

Step 1 - Start WXSim's
Step 2 - etc

type instructions that would probably benifit me. I'm going to goto bed and free my mind, I'll come back to the program tomorrow and continoue to play.

If anyone knows which file to use and what options to press, please reply to this in case Tom doesn't get to me. I'm off Sunday and I wanna play with this program. Plus, I'm trying it before i buy it :-)

Also, If I can get this to work, I could use YOUR weather forcast on my Weather Flyer :-)

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

-Jason
Portales, NM Weather
http://www.portalesweather.net

Offline broadstairs

• Stuart
  • Broadstairs, Kent, UK
    • Broadstairs
Re: Several Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:16:23 AM »
Jason WXSIM is a great program and has an ever steeper learning curve that WD :lol: You have to use WXSIMATE to import WD data into WXSIM and WXSIM needs to import a load of data into itself. Customising the program is pretty much what you pay for when you register Tom spends quite a lot of time setting it up for your location and since it looks like you are in the USA then you have a huge amount of free data to work with. I have found it pretty good at forecasting for the next 24 to 48 hours when compared to our own Met Office here in the UK. It is very difficult with my very limited experience to say what you need to import. This is where Tom's customisation gets you started, from then on you can play with it to tweak your forecasts for your local area..

Stuart

Offline jayman228

• Portales, NM
    • Portales, NM Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:31:24 AM »
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, If I'm understanding you correctly, Id have to register the program in order to make it work with WD? Maybe thats one reason why I can't import the WD files from my location. As I'm writing this, its starting to make sense now.....No wonder Atlanta is the default and not my state - Indiana. LOL

I just checked the site and to register its $75 US. I'll play with it some more and see if this is really worthwhile, I mean $75 isn't bad but I'm a 25 year old guy who lives alone so money is tight. heh heh  But, from the looks of it, its worth it.

Thanks again for your response. :-)
-Jason
Portales, NM Weather

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • VP 2 w/FARS - WML Station: WD00007
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 02:58:57 PM »
Jason,

While I have not yet plunked out the cash for a licensed copy it is on the upcoming years wish list and I have played with it a bit...

When you launch WXSIMATE you will need to set the type of software from "Customize - Local Station Source" to Weather Display then type the location for your WD logfiles files in "Import from local station" then hit Import Data...

Then close WXSIMATE and open WXSIM and click "Import - Import Local Data"...

That is about as far as I have ever gotten, since my copy isn't registered and doesn't pull data for my location, but this coming year I swear I am going to get this going LOL

-Bob

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 03:47:36 PM »
$75 isn't much for WxSim. It's not just a registration fee. When you register Tom spends some time (probably quite a few hours) customising the program for you local area. This makes the model a better fit to your local conditions. I must get back to my experiments with it...I left it alone whilst I worked on MML, so I should get back into it now.
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • VP 2 w/FARS - WML Station: WD00007
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
Chris,

I understand that the price is for the customization, just used "registration" as it is commonly used for programs... :)

I really meant to get this going this past year BUT... anyway "The Boss" said this should be doable in the next couple of months and we shall see...

-Bob

Offline Tom Ehrensperger

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 05:50:29 PM »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest in my program! :-)  I do understand what you mean about "freaking out" when you first saw it - there's a lot of stuff there!  In the long run, thant's a good thing, as once you get the hang of it you should find it very versatile and flexible - and hopefully accurate!

You can actually use WXSIMATE (which can access your WD log files) and use that with WXSIM, even without, or before, registering.  You need to correctly identify the directory where your WD files are stored in one of WXSIMATE's text boxes, then Import that data (right side of the form), and then in WXSIM, use Import/Import Local Data.

This should be convenient, and neat, but is not a very big step towards a good forecast, as you could have entered most of that data manually, anyway.  A bigger step is learning to import external data, such as METAR and model data (FOUS and READY formats).  You can actually get the READY model data in there even without registering, but the METAR (and many other features) won't work without the custom files I'd create for you.

While you think about customizing, in addition to trying it out in a rather limited way for your own site (you'd need to type in your lat, lon, etc. under Location/Other), try the sample data with Atlanta as the site, so you can see what it's like with custom data.  There are examples to work through in the manual, and be sure to click on any blue caption or word in the program for instant help on that topic.

BTW, I know what you mean about being "the weather man".  I'm a high school teacher (physics, astronomy, and - of course - meteorology!) and in the winter, I'm always being asked "is it going to snow?" and "are we going to have school tomorrow?".  Not that it does that much here in Atlanta - it snows or ices only about once or twice a year - but it doesn't take much to close schools here!  I (thankfully!) have no administrative responsibilities, and am really cautious about what I say.  There are legends around school (based on little if any truth) that I either foresaw some storm, or said there was going to be one and they cancelled school and it didn't happen and I got in trouble - or whatever!

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any questions,

Tom

Offline jayman228

• Portales, NM
    • Portales, NM Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 08:20:24 AM »
Hey,

I have to say this is an impressive program (gotta say it yet again...heh heh) I figured out why the WXSIMATE wasn't working for me as I needed to install that NET program. Once I did that I was in business. Importing my data worked without any issues. Although after I uploaded my data, I just did a quick run and got the result below.

FORECAST RUN:                                                                                                                                                             DATE    TIME   TEMP   WIND  R.HUM %SC  %VST VIS PC/HR RN TOT   WEATHER                                                                                                   
Dec 12 12:00 A  25.0    0   63   100   30  12.0  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. FRZ.RN 
Dec 12  1:00 A   25.7    0   62   100   28   6.6  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CHNC.SLEET 
Dec 12  2:00 A   26.1    0   62   100   28   6.6  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CHNC.SLEET 
Dec 12  3:00 A   26.3    0   63   100   28   6.5  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CHNC.SLEET 
Dec 12  4:00 A   26.6    0   63   100   28   6.5  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12  5:00 A   26.9    0   63   100   28   6.4  11  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12  6:00 A   27.1    0   63   100   28   6.4  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12  7:00 A   27.3    0   63   100   28   6.4  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12  8:00 A   27.8    0   62   100   27   6.3  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12  9:00 A   29.9    0   57   100   27   6.3  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CH. SLT/FR 
Dec 12 10:00 A   32.7    0   52   100   27   6.3  10  0.00   CLOUDY    CHNC. DRZL 

I definately did something wrong because at 01:50 I had this on my website (and of course on wdisplay)
Temperature: 18.1F
Barometer: 29.117 in.
Humidity: 71 %
Wind: W at 0
Wind Chill: 18.1 F

With a fog advisory.
1128 PM CST SUN DEC 11 2005/1228 AM EST MON DEC 12 2005
.NOW...
THERE WILL BE SCATTERED AREAS OF FOG ACROSS NORTHEAST...NORTH
CENTRAL ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA THROUGH 2 AM CST. THE
VISIBILITY MAY FALL BELOW ONE HALF MILE VERY QUICKLY. IF YOU
ARE DRIVING AND ENCOUNTER ONE OF THE AREAS OF FOG USE EXTREME
CAUTION.
$$

I guess my question to you is, once I get the log file imported which I seem to master now, how far back does it import? If im guessing its only 1 hour but unsure. Reason why im asking is because it doesn't ask for the "name" of the log file (where in WD its xx2005.txt were xx is the month), WXSIMATE just points to the log directory. Since I have multiple log files now from June to current, would I be able to import those as well? I mean if the program has more data, the results would be better. [I think...lol]

Another concern is how do we know what data to actually manually enter? It might be a stupid question but in the above example, im missing something, as the humidity isn't 100% its 71%, the temperature is 18.1 not 26.1. It shouldn't be telling me its going to sleet, it should be telling me its suppose to fog. If I was understand this right, if I'm home and i see the weather change fast and odd to where its not predicting rain but somehow it does, then thats when I manually enter it in.....is that true? Is that the purpose of entering the data manually then "automatic" by doing the data imports?

I only have a temp, rain, and wind gauge outside and my other concern is the Snow and Cloud data. We got hit by a pretty big snow storm last Thursday, I havefn't gotten around to getting a heater for my rain guage nor have been able to get to True Value or another store to pick up a Snow catcher to measure snow (manually/acient ways) so I know that my snow data is off. Also, the clouds, where would I get all that information at? (ie: 15% of cloud cover, opacity, etc) I'm assuming the metar but that brings me to another question, whats the url for it? WD automatically does this and im unsure what the URL is.

I did do the examples (except I didn't finish example 4) and it wasn't to bad. Honestly, I think the hardest part is to learn the terms (and I don't mean Temperature...lol...I mean AGL, PRS, SLP, RAOB, etc) An idea - maybe come up with a dictionary/glossary for the terms to help better understand them. Maybe include an small example for each one.

I wish I could register the program now that way I have the customized files BUT I don't get paid till 12/22 (another two weeks -ugh) and on top of that, Christmas is amongst us, so I just gotta see what I can do. But in the mean time I can learn and play with this program, so, when I get the files from you, I can zip right through it all . heh heh (at least I'll hope so...)

Sorry for the long message and so many questions but I wanna at least understand somethings before I go further. I was going to email you this but I figured that other people might have the same questions as I do so I thought it would be better to just post it on here.  :-)
-Jason
Portales, NM Weather

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:14:38 PM »
WXSimate reads the current and previous month's log files. I know this because I have some corruption in my November log files and that's causing WXSimate some problems at the moment. I think one of the things it does is look at the rainfall over a longer time period to work out how 'wet' the atmosphere/ground are in your area.
Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline broadstairs

• Stuart
  • Broadstairs, Kent, UK
    • Broadstairs
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »
Jason I guess at the moment you are not gathering Ready Data. This is one thing you need to do manually, I am not sure how to advise you at the moment since I only know how to do it for my location as advised by Tom when he did my customisation. This helps with winds and upper level huidity etc. Because of the way the web site for the Ready data orks you have to do it manually all the time, WXSIMATE will not do it. You have to edit a file and WXSIMATE will include that data in its gathering process. I'll attach an old ready data for my location and you can probably work out what you need from the website at http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html enter your lat/long and go from there having taken a look at my ready data. I'll try to add some more about this data I extract later today if I get time...

Stuart

Offline jayman228

• Portales, NM
    • Portales, NM Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 04:49:53 PM »
Thanks for replying Chris and Stewart. I found the problem with why it always shows that is going to rain with the humidity of 100%. The Cloud Coverage was at 100% for some reason. Once I put it to 0% and re-ran it, I got the below output.

Dec 12 10:00 A   37.6    1   44     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
No shower or thunderstorm activity expected                                         
Dec 12 11:00 A   41.8    2   38     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
Dec 12 12:00 P   45.9    2   33     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
Dec 12  1:00 P   48.3    3   30     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
Dec 12  2:00 P   49.1    3   29     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
Dec 12  3:00 P   48.6    3   29     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR                   
Dec 12  4:00 P   47.0    3   31     0   93  10.9   0  0.00   CLEAR

At 10:40 A.M. today my website shows:
Temperature: 36.9F
Barometer: 29.264 in.
Humidity: 39 %
Wind: E at 0
Wind Chill: 36.9 F

The temperature for 10 A.M. according to WxSims shows 37.6 ......not to far off......It does say the temp is suppose to increase today to the 40's..Let's see if it does.

Just letting you know the status..At least i'm getting there, slowly and getting the hang of it. :-)
-Jason
Portales, NM Weather

cumulus